Karkidaka Kanji | Oushadha Kanji | Health Restoration Diet of Kerala | NatureLoC
Karkidaka Kanji, Oushadha Kanji is one of a unique medicinal porridge traditionally popular in the South Indian state of Kerala during the rainy season. The Malayalam month of Karkidakam roughly falls in between July and August of the gregorian calendar.
During this time, with the incessant rains beating down the roof, this month is spent in rejuvenation of the mind and body. The unique combination of herbs, spices and rice in this dish would keep the monsoon fevers at bay and have a positive effect against some of the common diseases of rainy season like arthritis.
Karkidaka Kanji Pack is available with us, click here!
This is a special diet in Ayurveda which is good for the people of all age groups as it would help to improve the immunity of the body and acts as a detoxifying agent. Karkidaka Kanji can be prepared at home, have a look at the list of ingredients used and the preparation of Karkidaka Kanji or Oushadha Kanji
Karkidaka Kanji Recipe
- 1 cup navara rice
- 2 tsp kurunthotti root / coomon wireweed
- 200 ml thick coconut milk
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 piece dry ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom
- 4 tsp jaggery powder
- 8 baby onions
- 3 tsp ghee
- In a pan dry all the herbs & spices (except rice, coconut milk, onions & jaggery) together for 2 to 3 minutes till nice aroma comes & set aside to cool. Powder them finely & keep aside.
- Wash the rice & add the mixture of spices to it & pour 8 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 20 mins up to 6 or 7 whistles till the rice is cooked well.
- Add the jaggery powder to the boiled rice & allow to boil till it reaches thick porridge consistency. Switch off the stove & add the thick coconut milk.
- Heat a pan with ghee & saute the finely chopped onions until golden brown color. Garnish the kanji with the fried, crunchy onions & serve hot.