Magical Powers of Golden Goddess
Turmeric ,the Golden Spice with a lot of medicinal properties has been held sacred from time immemorial. In India ,many other country’s and some far-eastern Asian nations, turmeric forms a part of Hindu religious customs and practices. It is associated with the worship of Hindu deities : `Kaali’ (Mother Goddess) and `Naaga’ (Serpent deity). In Kerala, dried turmeric powder, rice powder and a few other plant derived powders are used in colouring materials in making and decorating the huge `Kalams’ of various deities connected with `Sakthi’ worship (Mother Goddess) which is locally known as `Kalamezhuthupattu,’ a folklore tradition existing even today.
Turmeric, the auspicious spice implies a symbol of purity, fertility and prosperity among the Hindus. Turmeric powder along with sandal powder is used in preparation of `Kalabha,’ which is used to be poured on the presiding deities in temples. The dried turmeric roots in betel leaves are given to the women during the ceremonies as they are considered as fertile ,pure and also bring good luck. Married Hindu women apply `Kumkum’ on their forehead longitudinally along the hair partition path to indicate the marital status or sometimes apply turmeric paste on either side of the cheek.Turmeric the yellow spice has been put to use as a foodstuff and in many dishes ,cosmetic, and medicine-it has good medicinal properties. It lends curry with its distinctive yellow color and flavor,taste. It is used as a coloring agent in cheese, butter, and other foods and dishes. Turmeric is also used in manufactured food products such as canned beverages, dairy products, baked products, ice cream, yellow cakes, orange juice. biscuits, popcorn, sweets, cake,icings, cereals, sauces,paztas and gelatins Because ofits brilliant yellow color, turmeric is also known as `Indian saffron.’
Benefits Of Turmeric Powder
Three major curcuminoids , curcumin, demethoxy- curcumin and bis demethoxy curcumin are the substances which imparts yellow color to turmeric. Curcuminoids imparts anti oxidative, anti diabetic and anti inflammatory effects and have been used as a chemo preventive agent for cancers of colon, breast cancer, prostate cancer, esophagus, lung and oral cancer etc….inhibition of arthrosclerosis and inhibition of viral and bacterial growth. Turmeric, the traditional Indian medicine, plays an important role in the improvement of behavioral symptoms in persons who are suffering from disease like Alzheimer’s . According to Sanskrit medical treatises, Ayurveda and Unani systems, turmeric and turmeric powder have a long history of its medicinal use in South Asia. Susruta’s Ayurvedic Compendium, dating back to 250 BC, recommends an ointment containing turmeric or turmeric powder to relieve the effects of poisoning in the food. In Ayurvedic medicines, turmeric is a well documented treatment for various respiratory conditions (asthma, bronchial hyperactivity, and allergy), as well as for liver disorders, anorexia, rheumatism, diabetic wounds, running nose, cough and many other kinds of illness.
Turmeric in treating diseases
- The turmeric can be used in treating illness which are assosiated with the skin, heart, liver and lungs.
- Turmeric powder is mostly used in epilepsy and bleeding disorders, skin diseases, to purify the body-mind.
- Activities of Turmeric include: Alterative, analgesic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, antiseptic, antispasmodic, appetizer, antioxidant, astringent, cardiovascular, non-allergic,carminative, cholagogue, digestive, diuretic, stimulant.
- Therapeutic uses of Turmeric includes: Anemia, diabetes, digestion, gallstones, indigestion, IBS, parasites, staph infections, and wounds,cancer,food poisoning,poor circulation, .
- The Turmeric helps in regulating the female reproductive system , purifing the uterus and breast milk , and in men it purifies and builds semen.
- Turmeric helps in healing certain body related problems like reducing fever, diarrhea, urinary disorders, insanity, poisoning, cough, and lactation problems in general.
- Turmeric can also be used in treating external ulcers . Turmeric decreases Kapha and so is used to remove mucus in the throat, water discharges like leucorrhea, and any pus in the eyes, ears,nose or in wounds, etc.
- In Ayurvedic related cooking, turmeric helps in many ways.
Simple preparations using turmeric to ward off common ailments
- Cough and Cold: %2 teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed in 30 ml of warm milk is very effective. To prepare this, milk is poured on a hot ladle with turmeric in it and boiled over a slow fire. In case of running cold, smoke from burning turmeric can be inhaled.
- Sprains: turmeric paste mixed with lime and salt can be applied.
- Boils: application of turmeric powder to boils speeds up the healing process.
- Skin diseases: Juice of raw turmeric is externally applied in the case of ring worm and scabies. Simultaneously turmeric juice mixed with honey can be taken orally.
- Dental problems: rinsing mouth with turmeric water (boil 5 grams of turmeric powder, 2 cloves and 2 dried leaves of guava in 200 ml of water) gives instant relief.
- Poison of insect bite: applying the mixture of turmeric powder and lime over the affected part nullifies the toxic effect.
Turmeric, in spite of being an indispensable culinary ingredient that imparts musky flavour and yellow colour to curries and foodstuffs is also an abundant source of medicinal value which can ward off many illnesses that encroaches our life. Thus this yellow herb ensures us a golden healthy and charming life with strong immune system.