How to make Cabbage poriyal?
Cabbage Poriyal Recipe
Cabbage poriyal is a lightly spiced, steamed and sautéed recipe, more permanent among the South Indian states of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. It’s an easy recipe which tastes good with hot steaming rice and Sambar dish. The presence of small quantities of turmeric powder gives away unique flavour and a greenish yellow texture. Sliced green chillies provide hot spicy flavour which combines well with the sautéed cabbage pieces. Have a look at the list of ingredients required and the preparation of cabbage poriyal.
- 4 cups of chopped or shredded cabbage pieces
- 6-7 Shallots (sliced to fine pieces)
- 2 tablespoon of Sesame Oil (Ellenna)
- 1-2 Green chillies (sliced to small pieces)
- 1-2 sprig of Curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon of Mustard seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida powder / Kayam / Hing
- 1 teaspoon of Urad dal / Split Black Gram
- ¼ teaspoon of Turmeric powder / Haldi
- ¼ cup of Water
- 3-4 tablespoon of freshly Grated Coconut
- 2 tablespoon of coriander leaves (chopped to fine pieces)
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation
- Peel away the top skin from the cabbage. Wash it in running water. Use a sharp knife in slicing away the quarter portion of the cabbage.
- Blanch the cabbage piece in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes. Shred or chop the cabbage into fine pieces. (Take 4 cups of finely sliced cabbage)
- Use a shallow pan and heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil. Reduce the flame and add ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds and wait for it splutter.
- Once it splutters, add 1 teaspoon of Urad dal / Husked split black gram.
- Saute it for some time as it would slightly change its texture to a light maroonish colour.
- Now, add ¼ cup of sliced shallots pieces, curry leaves and the chopped green chillies.
- Saute it for a minute and add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of Asafoetida powder. Use a ladle and mix it well.
- Add the shredded cabbage pieces and some salt for the taste, mix it well.
- Now, add ¼ cup of water and stir it again.
- Cover the pan and cook the cabbage pieces on a low flame, simmer it till it is cooked. Once it is cooked for 5-6 minutes, take off the lid and stir the mixture with a ladle.
- Once the water has dried and the cabbage pieces are not cooked, sprinkle some more water and cook the mixture.
- Once the cabbage pieces become tender and the water gets removed, add 3 tablespoons of freshly grated coconut and mix it well.
- Finally, add the chopped coriander leaves and mix it well. (Optional)
- Once it is ready, serve it hot as a side dish for rice along with Sambar or Rasam.