Preparation of tasty Ari pidi
Ari pidi is a well known Kerala delicacy popular among the people from the central Kerala.
The intense taste of grated coconut is a unique characteristic of Ari pidi recipes. Ari pidi is a recipe comprising of a number of small rice dumplings in a thick sauce made of grated coconut and rice flour. This dish is normally served with non-veg recipes and is usually served with traditional chicken curry. This recipe is immensely popular among the Knanaya community in Central Kerala districts like Kottayam, Ernakulam etc. Pidi can either be prepared from roasted rice flour or Avalos Podi. The use of cumin seeds or jeera imparts an intriguing flavour which goes well with the taste of chicken curry. Finely chopped shallots and garlic pieces would increase the taste. Ari pidi can also be made into a sweet recipe by adding sugar. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Ari pidi.
Ingredients used for making Ari pidi
- 2 cups of rice flour ( not that of a finely powdered form)
- 2 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- 2 tablespoon of finely chopped shallots
- Water as per the use
- 1 teaspoon of jeera
- Salt for the taste
Top quality spices, nuts varieties, dry fruits, jackfruit products etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Ari pidi
- Take the rice flour in a mixing bowl and add the grated coconut.
- Mix it thoroughly to form a heap.
- Keep it aside for about half an hour.
- Heat a thick bottom pan and add the mixture of grated coconut and rice flour. Frequently stir the contents of the pan.
- Remove it from the flame just before it attains a light brown colour. Keep it aside.
- Grind out the chopped garlic cloves, shallots and cumin seeds or jeera.
- Add this fine paste to the heated rice flour mixture. Mix it well.
- Boil some water in a pan and add some salt for the taste.
- Little by little pour this water to the rice flour mixture and mix it to form a dough.
- Take out some dough and roll it to form small rice dumplings. Repeat the process until the whole of dough is made to numerous rice dumplings.
- Heat some water in a pan, heat it to a boil. Add the rice dumplings one by into the boiled water.
- Let it boil thoroughly so that it gets cooked well. In between stir the contents as per the requirement.
- Once it is cooked and forms a thick white coloured sauce, switch off the flame and transfer the contents to a bowl.
- Serve it hot with traditional chicken curry.