Sambar Rice | How to make sambar sadam | NatureLoC
Sambar Rice is a popular dish in Tamil Nadu. Both Sambar and rice are cooked together and is a popular cuisine eaten as a quick meal. There are multiple ways it can be made. This recipe may not be the traditional one made in Tamil Nadu, but it sure is a delicious sambar rice recipe.
Sambar Rice Recipe
- Sambar powder
- Toor dal – 6 tbsp
- White rice – 1/2 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Curry leaves
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Ghee or oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Turmeric – 2 pinches
- Onion – 1 medium
- Drumstick – 1 small
- Carrot – 1 sliced
- Tomato – 1 medium chopped
- Tamarind – 1 small
- Wash rice and dal in running water properly. Pressure cook them together by adding 2 cups of water for 1-2 whistles on medium flame.
- In a pan, heat ghee. Add cumin, mustard, red chilli and curry leaves. When it starts to splutter, add asafoetida.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and saute for about 2 mins. Saute tomatoes along with turmeric for 3 mins.
- Cook the vegetables, by adding some water, until they are soft.
- Soak some tamarind in hot water. Mash the soaked tamarind, remove the pulp, when vegetables are soft.
- Add the sambar powder, tamarind water, salt to the cooked vegetables. Cook them.
- Now add the mashed rice and dal to this mixture.
- Stir it well so that the rice dal is properly blended with the cooked vegetables.
- If needed, add more water for more consistency.
- Serve sambar rice hot with some papad and pickle.