Spicy Green Peas Curry
Green peas curry is a recipe served as a side dish for some of the breakfast dishes like chapati, puttu, appam and idiyappam.
Dried green peas are used for making this delicious recipe. Dried green peas is soaked overnight and cooked using spices. The use of red chilli powder and pepper powder imparts a spicy flavour. The use of garam masala adds up the taste. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Green peas curry.
Ingredients required for making green peas curry
- 1 cup of green peas
- 1 medium size onion (sliced to small pieces)
- 2 medium tomatoes (Chopped to pieces)
- 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
- 1½ teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon of fresh pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon of each of spices – cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt as per the taste
- 2 tablespoon of oil
Method of preparation of Green peas curry
- Wash the green peas and soak it overnight.
- Drain the water and clean the soaked green peas
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard seeds. Once the seeds splutter add the sliced onion pieces, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste and saute it till the onion turns to a light brown colour.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and pepper powder. Stir the mixture well and fry it for some time.
- As the raw smell disappears, add the sliced tomato pieces and the salt. Sprinkle some water as it will help the juice to come out from the mixture.
- Stir the contents and heat it to form a mushy and blended mixture.
- Add the soaked green peas and pour 1½ cup of water. Taste for salt and if needed add the salt as per the taste.
- Close the lid of the cooker and turn up the flame to a high level.
- Once the whistle goes, reduce the flame and simmer it for 5-6 minutes.
- Take out the cooker from the flame and keep it aside.
- Once the steam settles in, open the lid and transfer the contents to a serving bowl.
- Serve the green peas curry as a side dish for chapati, appam, idiyappam, puttu etc