Stir fried horse gram or Muthira Mezhukkupuratti
Stir fried horse gram or Muthira Mezhukkupuratti is a nutritious and tasty recipe served as a side dish for rice.
Horse gram/ Muthira or kulith, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coconut oil are the essential ingredients used in this recipe. Horse gram or Muthira is defined as a reddish brown coloured legume packed with a number of health benefits. It is also known as ‘Kulith’ and is an extensively used gram in northern parts of India. This bean can be the answer to a number of health problems, as it is a natural source of proteins, vitamins and iron. Nutritionists recommend this bean in your diet because of its weight reducing and fat removing benefits. Red chilli powder and the sliced green chillies are used for a spicy flavour. The use of curry leaves and sliced shallots increases the taste. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Stir fried horse gram or Muthira Mezhukkupuratti.
Ingredients used for Stir fried horse gram or Muthira Mezhukkupuratti
- 1 cup of horse gram/Muthira/Kulith/Kollu
- 3 ½ cups of water
- A pinch of mustard seeds
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1-2 green chillies (slit to two halves)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 small ginger piece(crushed)
- 2-3 garlic piece
- 1 medium sized onion (sliced to fine pieces)
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Stir fried horse gram or Muthira Mezhukkupuratti
- Wash 1 cup of horse gram or Muthira in clean water for 2-3 times. Soak it overnight in 2 cup of water. (keep it soaked for a minimum of 6 hours)
- Transfer the horse gram along with the water to a pressure cooker.
- Pour one more cup of water and sprinkle ½ teaspoon of salt for the taste.
- Heat it for 1 whistle, reduce the flame and cook it for further 10 minutes.
- Once the horse grams becomes soft, switch off the flame and keep aside for later use.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan or kadai and the mustard seeds, wait for it to splutter and add the red dry chilli, curry leaves and sliced green chilli. Saute it for few seconds.
- Now, add the chopped onion pieces, crushed ginger and garlic. Saute it till the onions attain a light golden brown colour.
- Add the cooked horse gram along with the water and add another half cup of water. Heat it to a boil and reduce the flame. Continue cooking until the entire water gets evaporated.
- When it’s ready, serve this tasty stir fried horse gram or Muthira Mezhukkupuratti as a side dish for rice.