Vazhachundu Thoran or Banana flower/Banana blossom recipe with grated coconut mixture
Vazhachundu Thoran or Banana flower recipe with grated coconut is a nutritious recipe rich in fiber and iron.
As you all know, every part of a banana plant is useful in one way or another. The white coloured inner stem or Vazhapindi and banana flower, banana blossom or Vazhachundu are used for making different recipes. The banana leaf is used for serving meals. Banana blossoms or Vazhachundu has a loopy, sticky fibers content. Coconut oil is typically used to reduce these sticky fibers presence. Chopped green chillies or bird’s eye chillies can be used for a spicy flavour. The use of turmeric powder removes any toxic presence and provides a light yellow texture. Also, the use of fresh curry leaves and the grated coconut improves the taste. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Vazhachundu Thoran or Banana flower recipe with grated coconut mixture.
- 1 finely chopped Vazhachundu/Banana flower/Banana blossom
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated coconut
- 2-3 shallots.
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil/ any other cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation
- Wash and clean the banana blossom or Vazhachundu in clean water.
- Remove all the purple coloured outer coverings of the banana blossom and take out the light brownish yellow coloured tender portion.
- Using a sharp knife, finely chop the tender portions.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil and mix it thoroughly with your hands, this will remove the sticky fibers elements from the mixture. Keep it aside.
- In a mixer, grind together the ingredients like grated coconut, shallots and green chillies to form a coarse mixture.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter.
- Now, add the curry leaves and saute for few seconds. Also, add the finely chopped banana blossom pieces or Vazhachundu followed by grated coconut mixture.
- Add a pinch or turmeric powder and sprinkle some salt for the taste.
- Mix it well and cover it with a lid. Cook it on a low-medium flame. In-between, stir the contents regularly.
- Check for the salt and if needed, sprinkle some salt as per your taste.
- When it’s cooked, take it off from the flame and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve it hot as a side dish for rice.