Vendakkai Poriyal, Ladies finger recipe, Simple okra recipe
Vendakkai Poriyal, Ladies finger recipe
Ladies finger or Okra is one of a commonly used vegetable across all parts of the world. It is known by different names like Vendakkai in Tamil and Bhindi in Hindi language. Vendakkai poriyal is a unique recipe popular among the people from Tamil Nadu. Sliced ladies finger, freshly grated coconut and chilli powder are the main ingredients used in this dish. The use of chilli powder provides a spicy hot flavour which combines well with the natural flavour of shallots and mustard seeds. Have a look at the detailed list of ingredients used and the method of preparation of this tasty vendakkai poriyal.
Ingredients used in Vendakkai poriyal
- ½ kg of Ladies finger / Vendakai / Okra (sliced to small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon of Chilli powder
- ¾ cup of Shallots / Small onions
- 1 teaspoon of Mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoon of coconut scraping
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation
- Wash the vegetables in clean water and keep it aside.
- Slice the vegetables to small sized pieces.
- Heat a deep frying pan or Kadai and slowly pour some oil.
- Now, add the mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter.
- Once it splutters, add the sliced onion pieces and saute for few minutes.
- It’s the time to add sliced ladies finger pieces and stir it well.
- Sprinkle some salt and stir it again.
- Now the vegetable pieces would be sticky, stir fry the ingredients until the stickiness disappears.
- Add the chilli powder and stir fry the ingredients till the raw smell disappears.
- Switch off the flame and add the grated coconut.
- Give it a final stir and serve this delicious recipe as a side dish for rice.