Chowmein – Stir-Fried Noodles : Chicken Chowmein Recipe
Chowmein : Stir-Fried Noodles
Chowmein is stir-fried noodles. The dish is popular throughout the Chinese diaspora and appears on the menus of Chinese restaurants. It is particularly popular in the United States, UK, Nepal, and India.
Glossy noodles tossed with shredded chicken and all the classic condiments – soya sauce, celery, vinegar and chilli sauce.
The noodle is made very simply, but it tastes really good, and can be purchased dried, and then boiled to loosen it up before hitting the wok, or fresh, and it still needs to be cooked in hot water, strained and then stir fried. A chef or home cook can use these noodles for a soup, by simply stir frying favorite ingredients and adding a soup stock to a boil, and adding in the noodles at the last minute, these noodles become a great noodle for Asian soups.
In the New Delhi area, chowmein can sometimes include paneer with the mixture of noodles and vegetables. Another non-meat Indian variant includes scrambled egg as a protein source. Kolkata has its own variant that is called Calcutta Chow Mein or Calcutta Chowmin that also includes green chilli, chilli garlic, or hot garlic.
Chicken Chowmein Recipe
Servings: 4 people
Cooking Time: 30mins
- 200 gm dried noodles
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 6 Tbsp (90 g) oil
- 1 large (3/4 cup) sliced onion
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp soya sauce, adjustable
- 2 Tbsp chopped celery or 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli sauce
How to Make
- In a large saucepan bring about 5 cups of water, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp oil and boil.
- Drain the water and immediately put the noodles under running cold water, to stop further cooking, and continue till cool.
- Rub the remaining of the 1 tbsp of oil into the noodles and leave in a colander to drain further. This is best done ahead of time.
- Heat the 6 tbsp oil and stir-fry the onions and the garlic over high heat, till a light brown.
- Add the chicken and salt and turn around a few times.
- Add the soya sauce, celery, vinegar and chilli sauce and mix well.
- Last of all, add the noodles, mix well and serve hot.