Beans thoran with grated coconut mixture
Beans thoran is Kerala recipe with grated coconut as an essential ingredient.
Sliced green chillies and dried red chillies are used for a spicy flavour. Tender beans are ideal for the preparation of this recipe. Chopped pieces of beans are used for making this recipe. This recipe is mainly used as a side dish for rice or chappati. Chopped and sliced onions or shallots can be used for taste. Adding curry leaves would give a unique aroma. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of beans thoran.
Ingredients required for making beans thoran
- 2 cups of chopped beans
- 4-5 shallots (sliced to small pieces)
- 1 medium sized onion (sliced to small pieces)
- 3-4 green chillies
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1½ tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- ½ cup of grated coconut
- Salt, as per our requirement
- A pinch of turmeric powder
High-quality spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation
- Grind the mixture of grated coconut, a pinch of turmeric powder, shallots and green chillies. (Do not grind the mixture to a fine paste. Grind it to form a slight mixture.)
- Heat the oil in a pan. Once it is heated add the mustard seeds
- Once the seeds start to splutter, add the sliced onion pieces.
- Add the garlic and curry leaves. Saute it till the onion pieces gets a light golden brown colour.
- Add the chopped beans pieces and ground coconut mixture. Add the salt according to the taste.
- Stir the mixture and cover the lid. Reduce the flame to a medium-low level and occasionally stir the mixture.
- In about 12-14 minutes, beans will be cooked and the recipe can be taken from the flame.
- Serve it with rice or chappati.