Preparation of tasty Neychoru or Ghee rice
Ghee rice or Neychoru is a very famous recipe from the northern part of Kerala. Ghee is used as an essential ingredient in making this tasty dish.
Ghee rice is a special recipe which can be served with non-veg as well as vegetable dishes. Basmati rice is normally used for making this recipe. The unique combination of spices along with the addition of fried cashew nuts and raisins are the reason for the distinctive aroma. The use of sauteed onion gives a delicious taste. Compared to many other dishes, it takes less time to prepare this special Malabar recipe. Spicy Chicken curry or Mutton gravies are normally used as a side dish for ghee rice. As in the case of vegetarians, ghee rice can be served along with Mushroom or Paneer recipes. Fried raisins and cashew nuts along with crispy fried onions or shallots are used as seasoning agents. Papad and lemon pickle are also used as a common side dish for ghee rice. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of ghee rice or neychoru.
Ingredients required for Ghee rice or Neychoru (High-quality spices are available for sale on natureloc.com)
- 2 cups of long Basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon of ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium sized onion (sliced to small pieces)
- 1 small piece of cinnamon, 1/2 th of a long piece of cinnamon (Karuvappatta)
- 4 cloves (Grambu)
- 2 cardamom (Elakka)
- ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds (Perum Jeerakam)
- 1 star anise (Thakkolam)
- 1 bay leaf (Karuva ela)
- 3½ to 4 cups of water (as per the quantity of rice)
- Salt as per the taste
Ingredients for seasoning
- 2 tablespoon of ghee
- 1/2 cup of cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1/2 cup crispy fried onion or shallot pieces
Method of preparation
Preparation of seasoning
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan and add ½ cup of sliced onion of shallots. Saute it to a light brown colour and keep it aside.
- Fry the raisins and cashew nuts in 1 tablespoon of ghee. Saute it till the cahewnut attains a light brown colour and the raisins become plump. Take it from the flame and keep it aside.
Preparation of Ghee rice or Neychoru
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak it for 15 minutes to half an hour. Drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan and add star anise, cinnamon, bay leaves, cardamom, cloves and fennel seeds. Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add thinly sliced onion and saute it till to a translucent form.
- Add the drained rice and fry it for 5-7 minutes. Stir the mixture until the rice begins to change the colour.
- Pour in the water and mix it well, add the salt as per the requirement. Heat it to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to a low-medium level and cover the lid. Continue the cooking until the water has been absorbed by the rice.
- Take it from the flame keep it aside for 8-10 minutes. Keep the lid as the rice becomes fully cooked and ready.
- Once the rice is cooked add the half of fried cashew nuts and raisin, mix it gently with the rice.
- Garnish the mixture with sauteed and fried onions and the remaining fried cashew nuts and raisin.
- Serve it with non-veg or vegetable recipes.