Bitter gourd pickle or Pavakka achar
Bitter gourd pickle or Pavakka achar is a delicious as well as nutritious pickle variety which goes well with rice.
Bitter gourd is a natural source of nutritive elements like Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, B2 and B3, iron, calcium, folic acid, dietary fibres and beta-carotene. Diabetic patients also make use of bitter gourd recipes in their diet. The use of vinegar would reduce the bitter taste and results in a nice tangy flavour. The presence of red chilly powder imparts a spicy flavour and reddish brown colour. Sliced ginger and garlic along with asafoetida (Kayam), fenugreek powder and curry leaves would increase the taste. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of bitter gourd pickle.
Ingredients required for making Bittergourd pickle or Pavakka achar
- 2-3 medium sized bitter gourd
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- Salt for the taste
- Cooking oil as per the requirement
- 2-3 tablespoon of sesame oil (nallenna)
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of finely chopped ginger
- 8-10 cloves
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1½ red chilly powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of fenugreek powder
- A pinch of asafoetida (Kayam)
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- Salt for the taste.
Method of preparation of Bittergourd pickle or Pavakka achar
- Wash the bitter gourd thoroughly in running water and slice it into small pieces.
- Add the turmeric powder, slit green chillies and some salt. Mix it well and keep it aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan and add the bitter gourd pieces. Fry it for 6-7 minutes and once it turns to a light brown colour, take out from the pan and keep it on a paper towel.
- Heat the sesame oil (nallena) in a deep frying pan (cheeni chatti) and add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the sliced ginger and garlic pieces, saute it for few minutes.
- Once it turns to a light brown colour, add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, fenugreek powder and asafoetida (Kayam).
- Once the raw smell disappears, add the fried bitter gourd pieces and vinegar.
- Taste for salt and add the salt as per the requirement.
- Turn off the flame and once it is cooled, store it in an airtight container.
- Serve it with rice.