Cabbage thoran / Upperi or Cabbage recipe with grated coconut mixture
Cabbage thoran / Upperi is usually served as a side dish for rice or chapatti.
Cabbage thoran / Upperi or cabbage recipe with grated coconut is an easy recipe which has a unique flavour. It is one of a popular side dish in Kerala cuisine and is an essential part of Sadhyas. The spicy flavour comes with the use of green chillies and the yellow texture is due to the inclusion of turmeric powder. A coarsely blended mixture of grated coconut, turmeric powder, shallots, cumin seeds and garlic is used in this cabbage recipe. Have a look at the preparation of Cabbage thoran / Upperi or Cabbage recipe with grated coconut mixture.
Ingredients used for Cabbage thoran / Upperi
- ½ of a medium-sized cabbage (finely chopped)
- ½ cup of grated coconut
- ¼ cup of shallots
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 2-3 garlic pods
- 3-4 green chillies (slit to two pieces)
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- A pinch salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Cabbage thoran / Upperi
- Remove the outer thick fibrous leaves and cut the cabbage into medium sized pieces.
- Wash these cabbage pieces under running water.
- Soak these pieces in salt water for 15 minutes and again wash it with running water. This would remove the insects or worms presence.
- Finely slice the cabbage and keep it aside.
- Using a blender make a coarsely grounded mixture of grated coconut, turmeric powder, garlic, cumin seeds and shallots. Keep it aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once it splutter, add the curry leaves and the green chillies. Saute it for few minutes.
- Now, add the finely sliced cabbage pieces. Mix it well and close the lid of the pan. Cook it for 1-2 minute.
- Add the coarsely grounded coconut mixture and some salt for the taste, mix it well.
- Reduce the flame and cover the pan, cook the ingredients for 10 -12 minutes. Open the lid and stir the contents in between.
- Once it is cooked, switch off the flame and transfer the recipe to a serving bowl.
- Serve it as a side dish for rice or chapatti.