Chemmeen curry or Prawn Curry
Have you tasted Prawn curry? Did you know about the preparation of spicy Kerala Style Prawn/Chemmeen Curry?
Chemmeen Curry or Kerala Style Prawn Curry is one of a popular sea food recipe. The unique spices combination used in this recipe would provide an intriguing taste. The spicy flavour is due to the presence of green chilles and red coloured chilli powder. As in the case of several sea food recipes Kudampuli/Cambodge, is used for a sour taste. The use of curry leaves would provide a natural aroma. This recipes goes well with boiled rice, tapioca recipes, appam etc. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Chemmeen Curry or Kerala Style Prawn Curry.
Ingredients used for Chemmeen Curry or Kerala Style Prawn Curry
- 400gm of prawns
- ¼ +½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2½ teaspoon of chilli powder
- 3-4 shallots ( sliced to fine pieces)
- 2-3 teaspoon of Ginger-Garlic paste
- 2 medium sized green chillies (Slit to two pieces)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 2 medium sized tomatoes(Chopped to fine pieces)
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper powder
- 1-2 small Kudampuli/Cambodge
- A pinch of mustard seeds
- 1-2 dry red chillies
- ½ tablespoon +1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Chemmeen Curry or Kerala Style Prawn Curry
- Clean and wash the prawn or chemmeen pieces.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon of chilli powder and salt to form a mixture.
- Marinate the prawn pieces with the prepared mixture. Keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat about 1½ tablespoon of oil in an Earthen pot/Clay pot/Manchatti or in a heavy bottomed pan on a medium flame.
- Once the oil is hot add a pinch of mustard seeds. Wait for it to splutter.
- Now, add the dried red chillies and fry it for few seconds.
- Then, add the sliced onion pieces, ginger –garlic paste , sliced green chillies and the curry leaves.
- Saute it for few minutes, once the onion pieces get to a light golden colour bring down the heat by reducing the flame to a low.
- Add the spice powders like ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder, 2 teaspoon of chilli powder, 1 tablespoon of coriander powder and ¼ teaspoon of pepper powder. Saute it until the raw smell disappears.
- Now, add the finely chopped tomato pieces and the salt. Saute it for 6-8 minutes. This will mush the tomatoes and the oil will get separated.
- Add ¾ cup of hot water, Kudampuli pieces and the salt for the taste. Bring it to a boil on a medium flame and cook it for few minutes.
- Now, add the cleaned prawn pieces. Cook it for 10-15 minutes or until the gravy is thick.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and the curry leaves. Take it off from the flame and keep this aside for 15 minutes.
- Serve with idli/dosa or rice and a thoran or mezhukkupuratti.