Ferula Asafoetida- Asafoetida-Kaayam-Hing-An Effecive Remedy for Digestive Problems
Ferula Asafoetida – Asafoetida-Kaayam-Hing
Ferula Asafoetida (or Kaayam or Hing) is commonly known as Asafoetida.It has several names such as devil’s dung, giant fennel, stinking gum and hing(in Ayurveda).This is a dried latex gum .This is extracted from various species of the perennial herb called Ferula.Asafoetida is native to Paria and Afghanistan and its neighbouring countries.Also used for food preservation . And it is commonly used in India as flavour to dishes such as pickles and also used for medicinal purposes.Asafoetida has a pungent smell and bitter in taste.That’s why it is also called “devil’s dung.”It is available in the market in the form of solid brick ,or in small pieces, or as a tablet and also in the form of powder.Asafoetida contains protein, fibre, carbohydrates, calcium, phosphorous, iron, niacin, carotene and riboflavin.
Ferula Asafoetida (Kaayam or Hing)-For Digestive Problems
- Asafoetida helps to prevent digestive disorders, flatulence, and also constipation.It is a natural laxative.
- This helps indigestion and abdominal injury.
- It can be used as a local medicine for stomach disorders.
- Asafoetida has an antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antiflatulent properties .These helps to prevent problems such as indigestion, intestinal worms, intestinal gas, upset stomach and Irritable Bowel Movement(IBM).
- Asafoetida can improve digestive health.
- In the case of infants, it is considered as a fix for colic.
- For infants and adults, the excessive eating may result in an upset stomach.This can be lead to colicky pain.Asafoetida can give a relief from colicky pain.
Ferula Asafoetida-How to use
- Ferula Asafoetida can be used in curries for enhancing digestion.Other than digestion, it can boost the taste and also increases hunger.
- Buttermilk with Asafoetida can reduce can prevent flatulence.This can also provide a cleansing effect on the digestive system.
- Ferula Asafoetida has a carminative effect.So the external application can provide relief from gas problems in the stomach.For this Asafoetida mix with water and form into a paste.This can apply externally to the abdominal region.
- Take one tablespoon each, ginger(powder), cumin, black cumin, long pepper, ajwain, rock salt and Ferula Asafoetida .Mix this all well.Add this mixture to warm water or buttermilk.take this only after meals.