Bone Fractures – How To Heal Broken Bones Faster Explained !
Bone Fractures are one of the most common orthopedic problems. In the U.S. alone, around 6.3 million fractures occur each year. And it doesn’t end here! About 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men worldwide experience osteoporotic fractures during their lifetime. Although fractures are self-repairing, you can use a few home remedies and tips to accelerate the healing of the bruised bone and reduce the chances of future fractures.
What Is A Bone Fractures?
A bone fracture is nothing but a crack in the bone. A great percentage of fractures are a result of stress or high force impact. In some individuals, a bone fracture can also be a result of medical conditions that weaken the bone like osteoporosis, cancer, and osteogenesis imperfecta (brittle bone disease).
Foot Pain Causes, Symptoms, Types, Home Remedies & Prevention Tips
Bone fractures also exhibit a few symptoms depending on the affected bone. The most affected bones are the orbital bone (eye socket), tailbone, pelvic bone, the clavicle or collarbone, the fibula or calf bone, heel bone, and the femur. Let us now look at the symptoms of bone fractures. A few common symptoms associated with fractures are:
- Skin discoloration
- Angulation (bending of the affected area in an unusual angle)
- Inability of the patient to put weight on the affected area
- A grating sensation in the affected area
- Bleeding (in the case of an open fracture)
Usually, an external force or stress causes a fracture. Let’s take a quick look at the other causes.
Dust Allergy – Causes, Symptoms, Home Remedies, Preventive Tips
What Causes Bone Fractures?
Fractures are caused due to a bad fall or an automobile accident. Most healthy bones are tough enough to withstand powerful impact. Aging and other health conditions can weaken your bones, making the probability of fractures higher.
A few underlying medical conditions that can cause your bones to get fractured easily are:
- Tumor or cancer
You may also be at an increased risk of getting fractures due to the following factors:
- Age: Older adults and young children are more prone to fractures because of weak bones.
- Repeatedly injuring the affected area (common among sports professionals)
Ayurveda For Eyesight: 5 Home Remedies And Diet Tips During Summer
How To Treat A Bone Fracture Naturally
The presence of curcumin in turmeric makes it apt for healing fractures faster. Curcumin acts as an immuno-modulator and exhibits anti-inflammatory activities that can help regulate your immune responses and inflammation.
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Hot milk – 1 glass
- Add 1 tsp turmeric powder to a glass of hot milk.
- Mix well and drink it immediately.
- Drink this mixture once every night.
Buy Turmeric Manjal Products Online
2. Essential Oils
a. Elemi Oil
Elemi oil promotes circulation to the fractured area. This aids faster healing of the fracture, especially once the cast is removed.
- Elemi oil – 3 to 4 drops
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Add 3-4 drops elemi oil to 2 tsp coconut oil.
- Mix well and apply it to the fractured area.
- You must do this 5 to 6 times daily.
Buy Ayurvedic Hair Oil Mix Online
b. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil offers multiple benefits when it comes to healing a fracture. It can help in reducing inflammation and pain in the fractured area with its anti-inflammatory action.
- Lavender oil – 3 to 4 drops
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Add 3-4 drops lavender oil to 2 tsp coconut oil.
- Mix well and apply the blend to the affected area.
- Allow it to dry naturally.
- Do this several times daily for effective results.
Buy Neelabringadhi Hair Oil Online
3. Castor Oil
One of the main active compounds present in castor oil is ricinoleic acid. This compound exhibits anti-inflammatory activities that help in soothing the inflammation and pain associated with a fracture.
- Cold pressed castor oil (as required)
- A clean washcloth
- Soak a clean washcloth in cold pressed castor oil.
- Wring out the excess oil and wrap the soaked washcloth around the affected area.
- Leave it on for a night or two.
- If you have a cast, wait until it is removed.
- Do this daily.
Buy Neelayamari Ayurvedic Hair Oil Online
4. Black Caraway Seed Or Kalonji Oil
Black caraway seed oil is used for treating a range of medical conditions. What makes it effective in treating fractures is its bone-strengthening action.
Black caraway seed (kalonji) oil – 1 tbsp
- Take 1 tbsp black caraway seed oil and warm it.
- Apply the warm oil to the affected area.
- Leave it on to dry.
- Do this 3 to 4 times daily.
Buy Neelayamari Dehydrated Leaves Online
5. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are rich in nutrients like calcium and iron that help in faster recovery from a fracture. They also exhibit powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory actions that can help in dealing with the symptoms of swelling and pain associated with a fracture.
Roasted sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
- Consume 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds daily.
- Additionally, you can also apply sesame oil to the affected area for faster recovery.
- You must do this at least once daily for best results.
Buy Sesame Seeds Online
6. Coconut Oil
Supplementing your body with coconut oil can help in strengthening your bones and prevent bone loss associated with osteoporosis. Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory action of coconut oil can provide relief from pain and inflammation.
Cold pressed coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Consume 1 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil via your daily diet.
- You can also use coconut oil topically on the affected area.
- Consume coconut oil regularly to get the desired results.
Buy Kerala Coconut Oil Online
7. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is also referred to as magnesium sulfate due to its composition. The presence of magnesium in Epsom salt imparts anti-inflammatory properties to it that can help reduce the pain, inflammation, and swelling accompanying a fracture.
- Epsom salt – 1 cup
- Add 1 cup Epsom salt to a bathtub.
- Fill it with lukewarm water.
- Soak in the Epsom salt bath for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Do this once daily or every alternate day.
Buy Rock Salt Induppu Online
8. Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera possesses natural healing and soothing properties due to the presence of a polysaccharide called acemannan. Furthermore, it can also help in increasing your bone density, thus accelerating the healing of the fractured bone.
Fresh aloe vera juice – 1 cup
- Consume 1 cup aloe vera juice daily.
- You can also apply aloe vera gel to the affected area for momentary relief from pain and inflammation.
- You must drink it once daily for a few weeks.
Buy Aloe Vera Plant Online
Here are a few tips you can follow to prevent fractures in the future.
Bone Fractures Prevention Tips
- Make sure to get enough calcium through your diet.
- Get enough sunlight daily as it is the best sources of vitamin D, nutrient for strengthening your bones.
- Indulge in physical activities and exercise like short weight lifts, skipping, walking, and running.
- Don’t smoke.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Keep the affected area as immobile as you can until the fracture heals completely.
Even after the fracture heals, avoid using the fractured bone for a while as it may still be recovering. Immobilization of the affected bone has a significant role to play in healing a fracture, and so, you must take care until the fracture heals completely.