How to make crispy and spicy Kerala Fish Fry?
Kerala fish fry is a spicy fish recipe popular among the Keralites.
Traditional fish fry or fish curry is an important side dish for rice. It plays a major role in Kerala cuisine. Fish is known to have lesser calories than other meat varieties and has numerous health benefits. Crispy fish fry has a dark brown colour. The presence of red chilli powder and black pepper powder imparts the spicy flavour. Traditional fish fry is topped with a lemon piece and sliced onion pieces. The use of ginger- garlic paste and curry leaves along with black pepper powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder for marination gives a unique taste and intriguing aroma. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of spicy Kerala fish fry.
Ingredients required for making Kerala fish fry.
- 1/2 kg of any fish
- 1-inch ginger piece
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- 1½ tablespoon of chilli powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Coconut oil (as per the requirement)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt as per the taste
Method of preparation of Kerala fish fry
- Clean the fish and cut it into medium sized pieces. (The size of each piece depends on the kind of fish you are using)
- With a sharp knife, make several incisions about 4-5 cm apart on both sides of the fish pieces. This will allow the marinade to seep through the flesh and gives a real taste.
- Grind together a thick paste of pepper powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garlic, ginger and 2-3 tablespoon of water. Salt is also added as per the taste.
- A sprig of curry leaves is also mixed with the marinating paste.
- Apply the paste on both sides of the fish piece. Also, make sure that the marinade goes deep in to the incisions.
- Keep this marinated fish in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the marinated fish pieces and fry it on a low-medium flame.
- Carefully flip the fish pieces after 3-4 minutes and continue frying for 5-6 minutes.
- Again flip the fish and fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the fish is dried to a crispy dark brown colour, take out from the pan keep it on a tissue paper.
- Continue the process until all the marinated fish pieces are fried.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and serve it hot with rice.