How To Use Amla For Diabetes To Manage Blood Sugar Levels
Amla For Diabetes
Amla is one of the most natural medicines used in Ayurveda and is recommended by many health practitioners as a tonic for lifestyle ailments such as for skin and hair, amla powder is used for weight loss etc. It is loaded with many health benefit properties and can be consumed in various forms. This sour tasting fruit is generally consumed fresh or also as a sweetened and preserved product known as amla honey. An excellent source of vitamin C and minerals like calcium, iron, phosphorus and chromium.
But, did you know that amla can be great for managing diabetes too? Surprised? Don’t be. Read on to know how Indian gooseberry, or amla, can help manage your sugar levels.
It is loaded with vitamin C and skin healing nutrients which builds your immune system by strengthening your gut microbiome. Amla helps to improve the insulin resistance and also balance the high blood sugar levels. It removes the toxins from the body and heals cellular metabolism, which is good for diabetics. But ensure that you don’t consume amla candies due to the high sugar content. Amla has many actions and is useful in managing diabetes. It contains antioxidants like ascorbic acid, tannins, and polyphenols which help to reduce lipids, triglycerides in liver and improve metabolism.
- It has chromium that have positive effects on pancreas, where insulin is produced, further helping regulate blood sugar levels. Regulates carbohydrate metabolism and makes body more responsive to insulin, helping to keep the blood glucose levels in check.
- Low in calories, which makes it great for managing your weight. Excessive calorie intake will cause weight gain, which could lead to insulin resistance, and eventually difficulty in controlling diabetes. An ideal body weight helps control blood sugar levels better.
- Contains polyphenols that have properties which are protect our body from oxidative stress caused by high blood sugar.
- It is said to be effective in proper absorption of insulin and furthermore lowers blood sugar levels.
Amla For Diabetes – How To Use To Manage Diabetes Naturally ?
It is easily available in fresh, dried and powdered form. The best ways to consume is to drink its fresh juice everyday in the morning. You can also add some amla powder on your food to increase its nutritious value and also enhance the flavour.
- Contains antioxidants that are effective in reducing cell damage. It reduces the effects of free radicals and thus effectively combats the aging process.
- It’s juice mixed with a few pieces of chopped ginger and mixed with a tablespoon of honey has been proven to be an effective treatment for a cough and a sore throat.
- By reducing the build up of bad cholesterol, it reduces the risk of heart disease. It also reduces clogging in the arteries by boosting good cholesterol or HDL.
- These are a great way to boost your metabolic rate. Your metabolic rate is how fast your body burns calories. Boosting it will lead to faster weight loss, higher energy levels.
- It assists the body in the proper absorption of insulin, thus reducing blood sugar levels. Because of this, it is invaluable for people afflicted with diabetes and should be a part of their daily diet.
- Since it’s rich in antioxidants, it has various medical applications. Superoxide dismutase, which fights free radicals and reduces cell damage, acts as a potent tool in the prevention of cancer.
- Mix two teaspoons of amla powder with two teaspoons of honey and have it three to four times a day for instant relief when you have a cold or a cough, or consume once daily for permanent protection.
- Amla slows down graying, prevents dandruff, strengthens hair follicles. It also increases blood circulation to the scalp thereby improving hair growth. Acts as a natural conditioner giving you soft shimmering locks. You could apply amla oil or mix amla powder into henna for a hair pack.