How to make delicious Chicken Stew?
Kerala chicken stew is a lightly spiced recipe cooked with coconut milk and different vegetables of your choice.
Chicken Stew is an easy recipe that makes for a good side dish with Appam, Palappam or Pathiri which is a popular breakfast fare in Kerala. Chicken and potatoes simmered in coconut milk served with Appam, a rice pancake. The real taste comes with the use of sliced green chillies, shallots and garlic pods. The whitish tint of the recipe is due to the presence of different of coconut milk. Apart from other chicken recipes, Chicken stew does not contain the red chilli powder. The use of curry leaves adds up the taste. Few tablespoons of stir fried Cashew nuts can also be used for an improved flavour. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of chicken stew.
Ingredients used for marination
- 1/2 kg of cleaned chicken pieces with bones
- 4-5 chopped green chillies
- 1 tablespoon of finely sliced ginger pieces
- 3/4 – 1 tablespoon of finely sliced garlic pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grounded pepper powder
Ingredients for the preparation of Kerala Chicken stew
- 1-2 medium sized onion, finely sliced
- 8-9 green chillies, split it into lengthwise pieces
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped ginger pieces
- 2 Sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 medium sized potato, chopped to pieces
- 1/2 +1/4 teaspoon of masala powder
- 1-2 cups of freshly prepared thin coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of freshly prepared thick coconut milk
- Salt for the taste
- 2-3 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 8-9 fried cashew nuts
- 3/4 tablespoon of ghee
Method of preparation of Kerala Chicken Stew
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the marinating ingredients specified above.
- Keep it aside for 10 minutes. Pressure cook the chicken pieces for about 3-4 whistles.
- Once the chicken is cooked, Keep the chicken pieces aside for later use.
- Meanwhile, clean and chop the potatoes into cube sized pieces.
- Boil the potato pieces with 1 glass of water and a pinch of salt. Once it is cooked take it off from the flame and keep it aside.
- Heat some oil in a saucepot and add the onion pieces. Once it softens, add the green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces and the stock, potato pieces and also sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of masala powder.
- Boil it for 2-3 minutes, partially mash the potato pieces with the back of the spoon.
- Pour thin coconut milk and bring it to a boil. Once the gravy thickens, add the thick coconut milk.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of masala powder and bring it to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Continue heating till the gravy becomes a creamy and thick stew consistency.
- Before switching off the flame, add the curry leaves and mix it well for the flavour and fragrance. Also, add the stir-fried cashew nuts.
- Kerala Chicken Stew is ready and serve it with appam recipes.