Inji Manga Achar or Mango ginger pickle
Pickles are one of an integral part of Indian cuisine. Inji manga or Mango ginger is a rhizome similar to that of ordinary ginger with a raw mango flavour. It is usually available in Kerala and is generally used for culinary preparations like pickles. The unique taste of mango ginger combines well with the ingredients used in the recipe. The use of turmeric powder and chilli powder gives a hot spicy flavour and a reddish brown texture. Have a look at the list of ingredients used and the method of preparation of Inji Manga Achar or Mango ginger pickle.
- 250gms of Inji manga / Maa inji / Mango ginger
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of Mustard seeds / Kaduku
- ¼ teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds / Methi / Vendayam
- A pinch of Asafoetida powder / Hing / Kayam
- A sprig of Curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon of Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder / Manjal Podi
- 3-4 tablespoon of Lemon juice
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Inji Manga Achar or Mango ginger pickle.
- Wash the mango ginger pieces and peel off its skin. Slice it into small and round shaped pieces.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan. Add the mustard seeds and when it splutters add asafoetida powder and curry leaves. Mix it well.
- Now, add the chilli powder and the turmeric powder, saute it for few minutes and switch off the flame.
- Mix the ingredients with a spoon and keep it aside for cooling.
- Transfer it to a bowl and add few drops of lemon juice, also add some salt for the taste.
- Pour this prepared mixture over the sliced mango ginger pieces.
- Mix it well and transfer it to a clean glass bottle.
- Keep it for few days and store it in a refrigerator for later use.
- Serve it as a side dish for boiled rice or rice porridge