Kerala Mixture Recipe
Kerala Mixture Recipe
Kerala mixture is one of crispy snack mix which has a very spicy hot flavour. It’s a very popular tea time snack in Kerala. The name Mixture comes from the combination of ingredients like seva, boondhi , fried peanut and spices. Chilli powder, asafoetida (hing) and curry leaves are the essential ingredients used for its unique taste. This recipe goes well with a cup of tea or coffee. Have a look at the list of ingredients used and the preparation of this spicy recipe.
- 2 cups of Chickpea / Besan flour
- 1 cup of roasted rice flour
- ½ teaspoon of Asafoetida powder
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Salt for the taste
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- ½ cup of yellow Channa dal / Split peas
- 3-4 sprigs of curry leaves
- ½ cup of raw peanuts
- Water as per the requirement
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
Method of preparation
- Take the ingredients like Chickpea flour/Besan, roasted rice flour, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, chilli powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix it well.
- Pour some water and mix it to form smooth and non-sticky dough.
- Heat some oil in a deep bottom frying pan. Once the oil is hot, reduce the flame to a medium high state.
- Take some dough in an Idiyappam mold or a string hopper and press down the dough directly in to the oil.
- Fry it for some time, as the bubbles stops foaming around, take it away from the oil and keep it on a paper towel.
- The last batch of dough can be piped down in the form of ribbon pakodas with the ribbon shaped disc fit to the string hopper mold.
- Fry it and remove it on to the same tray lined with paper towel.
- Now gently crush the noodle and ribbon shaped fried dough with your hands to break them down into 1 – 1 1/2″ length.
- In the same oil, fry the raw peanuts and chana dal in separate batches untill they are golden brown and drain them on to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Now fry the curry leaves and drain them on to the same plate lined with paper towel.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Make sure it is free of moisture. Add the broken down fried noodle, ribbon pakodas, fried peanuts, chana dal and curry leaves into it.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of red chilli powder (ingredient 12) and 1/2 tsp of salt and toss it well, so that everything gets evenly spread.
- Let it cool down before you store it in an air tight container.