Koorka Mezhukkupuratti or Stir fried Chinese pototoes
Koorka or Chinese Potato is one of a commonly found root vegetable in Kerala.
Koorka Mezhukkupuratti or stir fried Chinese potatoes are one of a golden brown coloured dish. Koorka is a small tuber sized potato with an earthy flavour. The stir fried Chinese potato or Koorka with shallots and chilli flakes in coconut oil goes well with plain rice and soft chapati’s. The cleaning process of Koorka or Chinese potato is one of a tedious process. The smaller the size of these root vegetables, the longer it takes to clean them. The use of dried red chillies gives away a spicy flavour. Finely sliced shallots would add up the flavour. Few curry leaves and coconut bits are added for an improved flavour and an intriguing aroma. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Koorka Mezhukkupuratti or stir fried Chinese potatoes.
Ingredients used for making Koorka Mezhukkupuratti or stir fried Chinese potatoes
- 2 cups of thinly sliced Koorka/Chinese Potato pieces
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 3-4 shallots
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- Coconut oil for frying
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon of coconut bits
- A sprig of curry leaves
Good quality spices, dry fruits, nuts varieties, jackfruit products etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Koorka Mezhukkupuratti or stir fried Chinese potatoes
- Take the koorka/Chinese potatoes in a jute bag and gently beat it on the floor. This would remove about 70% to 80% its skin.
- Keep this in water mixed with some turmeric powder and salt.
- Later, use a knife to scrape off the rest of the skin. Slice them to thin pieces.
- Meanwhile, crush the ingredients like shallots, garlic and dried red chillies to a paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat some water in a pan and add the sliced Koorka/Chinese potato pieces. Also, add some salt.
- Once the pieces are half cooked, drain it and keep it aside.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan, add the mustard seeds.
- Once it splutters, add the coconut bits and saute it to a light brown colour.
- Now, add the crushed mixture and saute it for few minutes.
- Add the curry leaves and the half cooked Koorka/Chinese potato pieces. Sprinkle some salt for the taste.
- Stir fry the contents to a golden brown colour. Check for the salt, if needed, add the salt as per the taste.
- When its ready, take it off from the flame and serve it as a side dish for rice.