Kovakka thoran or Little gourd recipe with grated coconut mixture
Kovakka thoram is served as a side dish for rice. It would take about 20-25 minutes for the preparation of this recipe.
Little gourd or Ivy gourd is known by the name ‘kovakka’ in Malayalam and ‘tindoora’ in Hindi. Grated coconut is used as an essential ingredient in preparing this recipe. Sliced green chillies can be added for a spicy taste. In Kerala, little gourd or Kovakka is commonly used for the preparation of ‘mezhkkuperatti’ (stir fry) and ‘thoran’ (with grated coconut) recipes. This vegetable is normally cultivated in the summer season. Turmeric powder gives a greenish yellow colour to this dish. Sliced onion pieces and curry leaves are used for a traditional taste. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of Kovakka thoran.
Ingredients for making Kovakka thoran or Little gourd recipe
- 200 grams of Kovakka (Little gourd or Ivy gourd)
- 1/4 portion of a full coconut (taken in a grated form)
- 1/2 cup of shallots (sliced to fine pieces)
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 small onion (sliced to small pieces)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves.
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- 3-4 teaspoon of cooking oil
- Water as per the requirement
- Salt as per the taste.
Good quality natural spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Kovakka thoran or Little gourd recipe
- Grind out the grated coconut with turmeric powder to a regular mixture and keep it aside.
- Wash and clean the kovakka (Little gourd or ivy gourd) in running water.
- Chop the little guards to small pieces and transfer it to a cooking vessel. Add the finely sliced green chillies and onion along with sufficient salt.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of water and keep it for cooking.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Once the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds and the dried red chillies.
- When the mustard seeds starts to splutter, add the sliced shallot pieces.
- Saute the shallots to a light brown colour and add the chopped and cooked little gourds or Kovakka.
- Add the grounded coconut mixture and curry leaves. Also, add the salt as per the taste. Mix it well with the cooked ivy gourds or kovakka and simmer it for 4-5 minutes.
- Take out from the flame and serve it as a side dish for rice.
Take a look at some of the other Little gourd / Ivy gourd / kavakka recipes