How to make delicious Coconut Rice?
Coconut rice is one of a unique recipe popular among the people from the Southern parts of India. The natural flavour from the freshly grated coconut pieces and the aroma of curry leaves combines well to form this white coloured coconut recipe. Preparation is much easy when compared to other traditional coconut dishes and would take only 30 minutes to make a hot steaming coconut rice recipe. It is usually served as a lunch box recipe for the kids and uses potato kurma, paneer kurma, soya chunks kurma and jackfruit seed kurma as side dishes. Cashew nuts and urad dal used in this recipe would provide a delightful experience and goes well coconut oil or ghee. Have a look at the detailed list of products and the method of preparation of coconut rice recipe.
- ½ cup of Rice
- ½ cup of grated Coconut
- 1½ tablespoon of Ghee or Coconut oil
- 1-2 green chilli (slit or chopped)
- 1-2 medium sized dried red chilli (broken to small pieces)
- ½ teaspoon of Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida / Kayam / Hing
- ¾ tablespoon of Chana dal
- ¾ tablespoon of Urad dal
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger.
- Cashew nuts and peanuts as required
- Salt for the taste
Top quality cumin seeds, mustard seeds, dried red chilli etc are available on natureloc.com
Method of Preparation
- Wash the rice and cook it using a pressure cooker or pot. Once it is cooked, cool it completely.
- Heat some ghee in a pan and add the mustard seeds. This is followed by cumin seeds dals and cashew nuts and peanuts.
- Fry it till the dal attains a golden brown colour and add the ginger pieces, green chillies, broken dried red chillies and curry leaves
- Once the leaves become crisp, add the kayam / asafoetida or hing.
- Now, add the grated coconut pieces and the cooked rice. Sprinkle some salt and mix it well.
- If you are fond of fried coconut recipe, you could fry the coconut pieces before adding the rice.
- Turn off the heat and mix it well.
- Serve this coconut rice with a simple side dish and veg salad.