Masala milk or Masala paal
Masala Milk or Masala Paal
Masala milk or masala paal is a unique drink made of milk and is famous among the people from Tamil Nadu. Unlike other milk based drinks, masala milk is a warm recipe made of boiled milk simmered with a unique mixture of spices, nuts and sugar. People from all ages would love this drink as it has a pleasant flavour with a delightful aroma. As we move through this South Indian state, we would come across many varieties of masala milk or masala paal and each of them would have a unique brand of preparation and ingredients attached with it. Have a look at the list of ingredients used and the preparation of Masala milk.
- 2 cups of Milk
- A pinch of edible Camphor (the size of a mustard seed)
- 8-10 top quality Almonds or Badam
- 2 tablespoon of Sugar or Palm sugar crystals
- 2 top quality Cardamom or Elachi
- 2 Cloves
- 2 small sized piece of Cinnamon
- 2 pinches of freshly powdered Pepper (Optional)
Top quality Badam or Almond, Cinnamon, Pepper powder and cardamom is available on natureloc.com
- Take a bowl and add some lukewarm milk, soak the saffron for some time.
- Also, take some hot water in another bowl and soak the badam or almonds for 15 minutes.
- Now, peel the skin of the almonds and grind it to a smooth mixture with very little consistency.
- Boil the milk with the ingredients like cloves, elachi, cinnamon, camphor. Now, add the grounded almond solution.
- Pour the saffron soaked milk and simmer it for 5-6 minutes.
- Add some palm sugar crystals and some pepper powder for a sweet and chilly flavour.
Such a lovely recipe! I followed the recipe exactly as mentioned and it turned out even better than I expected. A slight tip, I used Pride of Cows milk (2 Cups as mentioned) and found that it added that extra flavour and consistency to the masala milk! Do give it a try.