Neermaruthu or Arjun Tree(Terminalia Arjuna)-Ayurvedic Cure for Heart Diseases
Neermaruthu (നീർമരുത്) or Arjun Tree (Terminalia Arjuna)
Neermaruthu , commonly known as Arjun Tree (English) Neermaruthu (നീർമരുത്)or Pulamatti(പുലമാറ്റി) in Malayalam.Its Botanical name is Terminalia Arjuna.This is an evergreen tree.It grows up to 30 meters height.The leaves are oblong and cone shaped and it is clustered.The flowers of the tree are very small and it is pale yellow in colour.The flowers appear during the month of March-June.It has a foul smell.The fruits are greenish yellow,fibrous woody and it ribbed which is divided into five wings.This appears during September-November.The bark of the tree is grey in colour and it is smooth. Neermaruthu(നീർമരുത്) can be found on river banks or near dry river beds in Bangladesh, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and south and central India.
Terminalia Arjuna (നീർമരുത്)said to balance three doshas.The Indian physician Vagbhata was the first to use it.and this is used for Heart Diseases.This is used as a medicine in both Ayurveda and Unani.The bark of the tree is considered as the cardiac tonic.The bark of the tree is a source of flavonoids, tannins, saponin and glycosides.And it also contains Calcium and Magnesium salts.Flavonoid is anti-inflammatory and anti-Oxidant.It also contains Arjunetin (a glucoside), cerasidin, sitosterol, friedlin, methyl oleanolate.
This can be used in cardiovascular diseases, wounds, haemorrhages, ulcers, fractures, biliousness, urinary discharges, asthma, tumours, leucoderma, anaemia etc.
Neermaruthu(നീർമരുത്) or Arjun Tree(Terminalia Arjuna) as Cardiac Tonic
Arjun Tree can provide cardiac health.It is because of its effect on nourishing the heart muscles.This can help in the proper functioning of circulatory system.The medicinal property of the tree helps in Vasoconstriction which is narrowing of blood vessels and in Vasodilation which is widening of the blood vessels.
In Ayurveda and Unani the bark of the tree is used for heart failure, irregular heartbeat and for coronary heart diseases.It can strengthen the heart.Arjun Tree (നീർമരുത്)helps to prevent the hardening of the arteries.It can reduce the Angina attack.This is caused by reduced blood flow to the heart.This will results in pain or tightness in the chest.
The bark of the Arjun Tree i(നീർമരുത്)s a rich source of coenzyme Q10.This enzyme can reduce the blood pressure.Thus this is used for high BP.This helps in the proper functioning of heart functions.
Other Important Medicinal Uses of Neermaruthu(നീർമരുത്) or Arjun Tree
- Another important use of Arjun Tree is its use in Hypertension.This prevents hypertension like giddiness, Insomnia, headache and inability to concentrate.It helps to lower the systolic blood pressure.
- Arjun Tree (നീർമരുത്)is an effective wound healer.
- It has the ability to contain lipids absorbed by blood, thus it regulates the cholesterol level .The bark of the Arjun Tree can prevent the oxidation of LDL.And regulate the cholesterol in the liver.Results in the elimination of cholesterol from our body.
How to Use Neermaruthu(നീർമരുത്) or Arjun Tree
- The use of dried Arjun Tree bark powder can prevent heart diseases.And it reduces the cholesterol level.
- The powder can be also used to treat Asthma and its related diseases.
- The Arjun Tree bark powder with honey can be applied on the bone for fracture and to strengthen it .
- The juice of the Arjun Tree can be used for an earache