Pal payasam using Unakkalari or Unakkalari Payasam
Pal payasam is a special payasam variety from Kerala. This is one of a famous payasam recipe prepared during festivals like Onam.
Pal payasam can be prepared using Matta raw rice, Red rice or Unakkalari. Here, we are using unakkalari for making this sweet and delicious dish. This rice variety is normally available in Wayanad and Kuttanad parts of Kerala. Good and fresh quality unakkalari can be purchased through natureloc.com. The presence of unakkalari imparts a light brown colour and the inclusion of milk gives rise to a white colour. Apart from other payasam varieties which uses jaggery, pal payasam uses sugar for a sweet taste and a delicious flavour. The use of crushed cardamom pods imparts a unique taste and a distinct aroma. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Pal payasam.
Ingredients required for making Pal Payasam
- 1/2 cup of Unakkalari/Raw matta rice/Raw red rice
- 4 cups or 1 litre of milk
- 1 cup of water
- 4 pods of crushed cardamom
- 3/4 cups of sugar
Method of preparation of pal payasam using Unakkalari
- If the rice is whole, transfer the rice to a blender and crush it to make it in a broken form.
- Wash the rice thoroughly in clean water. Drain the rice.
- Transfer the rice to a pressure cooker and add 1 cup of water, 2 cups of milk and sugar.
- Keep it in a medium flame and cook it until the first whistle.
- Once the first whistle is heard, take out the cooker from the flame.
- The rice will be half cooked and when the pressure is reduced, open the cooker and pour in the remaining 2 cups of milk.
- Simmer the contents in a low flame for about 15-20 minutes. Heat the contents to a thick consistency.
- Occasionally stir the payasam. The rice will get cooked and payasam attains a light pink colour.
- Add the crushed cardamom pods and mix it well. Garnish it with fried cashew nuts and raisins.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the payasam to a serving bowl.