Palm Jaggery -What is Palm Jaggery (Palm Sugar Karuppetty) made of?
Palm Jaggery also known as Karupatti കരുപെട്ടി പനം ചക്കര is a healthy traditional product made from palm juice (Pathani) without using any chemicals. Palm Jaggery is an excellent source of iron and minerals. NatureLoC.com takes utmost care in delivering right organic palm jaggery to its customers.
What is Palm Sugar Karuppetty (Palm Jaggery)?
Palm jaggery is made from the extract of Palm trees in Southern India. These trees are also known as Toddy palm trees or Palmyra trees.Jaggery is a sugar rich product and medicine obtained by evaporation of sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.) juice or sap obtained from Palmyrah palm (Borassus flabellifer L.), Date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) or Coconut palm (Cocos nucifera L.). Among all Jaggery, palm Jaggery having its own importance.
How to prepare Palm jaggery/Palm Sugar Karuppetty?
- Palm jaggery/karuppetty extracting is a way traditional method that has been in practice for more than 1000 Years.
- It is extracted from Palm juice (Pathani) produced by Palm tree twice in a year.
- There are male and female palm trees, out of that only female tree yields the palm juice. A well grown palm tree will produce 200 to 1000 litres of palm juice per year.
- Palm juice is extracted twice in a day and collected in a big barrel.
- There are two ways of extracting palm juice. One way is getting it in raw nature which is known as kallu or Theluvu.
- Theluvu is mainly used for human consumption and not used to prepare Jaggery.
- The other way is limestone applied palm Juice which is called Sunnambu Theluvu aka Pathani. It will be sweet in nature and given to kids as energy drinks.
- This Pathani is used to prepare jaggery. The shelf life of the palm juice is not more than one day.
- The collected Palm juice will be heated in a barrel until it sediments the sugar and evaporates the water.
- This process will be continued until sugar reaches semi solid state.
- The semi solid jaggery will be poured in old fashioned pot which gives the shape of palm jaggery.
- This is one kind of traditional practice that’s been followed till date.
- After few hours it attains the complete solid state of palm jaggery which will be taken back for shipment.