Pazham Nirachathu or Stuffed Banana
Pazham nirachathu or stuffed banana is a tasty evening snack. It is prepared by stuffing the ripe bananas with a fried mixture of grated coconut, cashew nuts and raisins.
Pazham nirachathu or stuffed banana is a Malabar dish, usually served during Iftars. It is made by stuffing the plantains with a fried mixture of grated coconut, cashew nuts and raisins. Stuffed plantains are then dipped in a thick batter made of maida(all purpose flour). Finally, coconut oil or any type of cooking is used for frying the stuffed plantains. Pazham nirachathu is an easy recipe to make and it wouldn’t take much time for its preparation. The use of cardamom powder gives a delicious taste. Ripe plantains are usually preferred for making pazham nirachathu. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of this evening snack.
Ingredients required for making Pazham nirachathu or stuffed banana
- 2 plantains (ripe)
- ¾ cup of grated coconut
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon of sliced cashew nuts
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of Raisins
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon of ghee
- Cooking oil as per the requirement
Method of preparation
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan and add the grated coconut.
- Saute the grated coconut and add the chopped cashew nut pieces along with raisins and sugar.
- Keep frying until the cashew nut attains a light brown colour.
- Remove from the heat and keep it aside for later use.
- Take the maida or all purpose flour in a bowl mix it with some sugar and salt.
- Pour some water and mix it to form a thick batter.
- Peel off the banana skin and make a shallow slit on one side. Remove the central portion with the black seeds.
- Gently fill the slit by using the fried coconut-nut stuffing.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, dip the stuffed bananas in the batter and deep fry it.
- Once the bottom side attains a golden brown colour, flip the banana so that the other side also be fried to a golden brown colour.
- When it’s fried, take out from the heat and keep it on a kitchen tissue so that the excess oil gets drained away.
- Serve them with coffee or tea.