Pearl millet or Bajra roti
Preparation of smooth and easy Pearl millet or Bajra roti
Pearl millet or Bajra roti is a popular flat bread recipe made with pearl millet flour. It is one of an Indian staple food served for lunch and dinner. This hot and soft recipe goes well with chutneys, subzis, raitas, yogurt and pickle. Pearl millet can be made as creamy as mashed potatoes or as fluffy as rice. It is believed to have wide range of health benefits and is extensively used in various cuisines around the world. Here is an easy roti recipe which can be followed easily.
Ingredients required for making Pearl millet or Bajra roti
- 1 cup of pearl millet flour / Bajra atta
- 1¼ cup of water
- 1¼ teaspoon of salt for the taste
- 1½ teaspoon of ghee
Method of preparation of Pearl millet or Bajra roti
- Heat some water in a pan and add the salt. Mix it with a spoon.
- On a high flame, heat it to boil. Reduce the flame and add the pearl millet or Bajra flour.
- Using a spoon mix it well, heat it for few minutes and switch off the flame. Keep it aside so that the dough becomes moderately warm.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and knead it for 5-6 minutes to make it soft.
- Divide the dough into 6-7 equal parts and roll each of these pieces to form a lemon ball.
- Roll each dough balls in Pearl millet flour. Using a roti rolling board, roll each of these pieces to form a circular shaped roti. If required, use some Bajra flour.
- Heat a griddle on a medium flame and place the roti on it.
- Sprinkle some cold water on top and cook until the water dries up.
- Flip it and cook until the roti attains a light brown spots on both sides. Apply some ghee on top.
- Serve it with a chutney, pickle, subzi, raita and yogurt.