Red Velvet Cake Recipe | Easy Homemade Red Velvet Cake | NatureLoC
Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake is a famous American dessert recipe made from all-purpose flour, icing sugar, almonds and cashews. It relies more on red food colouring than it does on beets. Another reason why food colouring is used to give the cake its signature colour is that of the way cocoa is now processed. The thing is natural cocoa is fairly acidic. When it is processed, the acid is reduced while creating a rich brown colour. It is the acid in the natural cocoa that reacts to the buttermilk creating a reddish hue. Because natural cocoa isn’t as widely available.
Ingredients Of Red Velvet Cake
- All purpose flour – 2.5 tbsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/4 tsp
- Egg – 1/4
- Buttermilk – 3 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1/4 tsp
- edible food colour
- baking soda
- Cream cheese – 1/2 cup
- Almonds – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Cashews – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Icing sugar – 1 cup
How To Make Red Velvet Cake
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Keep the mixture aside.
- Mix the sugar and egg in a different bowl. Gently pour the oil into the bowl and beat it well.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Then add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and food colour (red).
- Divide mixture among 3 round cake pans. Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 30-40 mins.
- Insert a toothpick in the centre, if it comes clean, the cake is done. Remove it and cool.
- To make the icing for the cake, combine the cream cheese and butter.
- Add the icing sugar and beat it well till it’s smooth.
- Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and add cashews, almonds.
- Spread the frosting between all layers of the cake, on the sides and on top of the cake. Serve.