Soft and spicy Uzhunnu vada or Urad dal vada
Uzhunnu vada or urad dal vada is one of the most popular snack variety in South India. This is also known by different names like Medu vada or Urad dal fritters.
Uzhunnu vada and tea is known to be the famous recipe combination in the South Indian states like Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. Sambar and coconut chutney are the side dish used with Uzhunnu vada. It’s also been popular as a breakfast recipe along with idli, chutney and sambar. Uzhunnu vada is also served with different dosa recipes like Masala dosa and Ney roast or Ghee Roast. The presence of green chillies and black pepper would give a spicy flavour. The inclusion of shallots, curry leaves and ginger would add up the taste and provides a distinct aroma. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of this delicious recipe.
Ingredients required for making Uzhunnu vada
- 1 cup of black gram or urad dal (Uzhunnu)
- 1 tablespoon of rice flour
- 1/2 cup of sliced onions
- 1-inch piece of ginger (chopped to fine pieces)
- 3-4 green chillies (sliced to small pieces)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon of crushed black pepper
- Cooking oil as per the requirement
- Salt for the taste
Good quality spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Uzhunnu vada or Urad dal vada
- Wash the urad dal or black gram and soak it in clean water for about 3-4 hours.
- Drain the dal and grind it to form a thick batter. If the grinding is not smooth, add little water. At the end the batter should be thick.
- Transfer the batter to a big bowl.
- Add the shallots, ginger, black pepper, curry leaves, rice flour and salt.
- Mix the contents well and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan. Once the oil is sufficiently hot, reduce the flame to a low-medium level.
- Dip your hands in water. Take some batter from the bowl and turn it to a round shape and make a hole in the middle portion.
- Add it slowly to the oil and fry it to a light brown colour.
- Once the bottom side is fried, turn it upside down. When it’s fried enough, take it out from the oil and keep it on kitchen tissues to drain out the excess oil.
- Repeat the process till the whole of batter is made into delicious Uzhunnu vada or urad dal vada.
- Serve it with coconut chutney and sambar.