Spicy Beetroot pickle
Beetroot pickle is a tasty and a nutritious recipe. This recipe can be served as a side dish for rice, biryanis etc.
Beetroot pickle is a simple recipe and it would take only 15 to 20 minutes for making this tasty dish. The presence of green chillies and red chilli powder provides a spicy flavour. The inclusion of a handful of curry leaves imparts a natural taste. Chopped ginger and garlic pieces along with fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida would add the taste and nutritional benefits. The inclusion of vinegar would provide a sour taste and it also plays a part in preservation. Let’s have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of beetroot pickle.
Ingredients required for the preparation of beetroot pickle
- 5 whole beetroots (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped ginger pieces
- 20 cloves of garlic
- 4-6 green chillies (sliced pieces)
- 1-2 sprig of curry leaves.
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds (any other cooking oil)
- 1½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon of sesame oil (Ellenna)
- Salt as per the taste
Method of preparation of Beetroot pickle
- Wash the beetroots thoroughly in running water. Peel off the skin and chop it into small pieces.
- Heat 1/2 glass of water in a pan and add the beetroot pieces. Half cook the beetroot pieces for 3-4 minutes and add the salt as per the taste.
- Take out from the heat and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the fenugreeks and saute it for few seconds.
- Add the mustard seeds and once it starts to splutter, add the ginger pieces and garlic.
- Fry it till the raw smell disappears and add the sliced green chillies, asafoetida or hing and turmeric powder.
- Saute it for few seconds in a low flame.
- Add the half cooked beetroot and mix it well.
- Add some vinegar and 1/4 glass of water. Again mix it well.
- Add the curry leaves and cover the lid. Check for salt and add the salt as per the taste. Cook it for about 4-5 minutes.
- Take it out from the flame and once it cools transfer it to a glass jar.