Sweet and tasty Aval velayichatu
Aval velayichatu is one of a common sweet dish in Kerala. Beaten Rice or Rice Flake (aval) is the main ingredient used for the preparation of this recipe.
Red or brown coloured aval/poha (Beaten Rice or Rice Flakes) is the most commonly used aval variety in Kerala. Aval vilayichatu is served as a teatime snack recipe. Aval pani or aval varatiyathu are some other names of this simple recipe. Beaten rice (aval), jaggery and grated coconut are the essential ingredients used for making this sweet dish. Cardamom powder and cumin seeds is also used for a unique flavour and aroma. The presence of jaggery imparts a brown colour and a sweet taste. Aval velayichatu is normally served with ripe bananas. Once prepared, it can be stored in airtight containers and served for many days. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of aval vilayichatu.
Ingredients required for the preparation of Aval Velayichathu
- 1 kg of Red or brown coloured aval (Poha/Rice flakes/ Beaten Rice)
- 1 or 2 whole coconut (grated)
- 1/2 kg of jaggery (Sharkkara)
- 5 cardamom seeds
- 1-2 tablespoon of sliced pieces of roasted cashew nuts – optional
- 1 tablespoon of fresh coconut oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds (Jeerakam) – optional
- 1 or 2 tablespoon of sesame seeds (Ellu) – optional
- Water as per the requirement
Good quality natural spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Aval Velayichatu
- Heat the aval or beaten rice in a deep frying pan. Keep the flame in a low-medium level.
- Heated aval tends to shrink and becomes stiff. If you take a handful of aval(rice flakes) it will crumble.
- Once it is ready, remove it from the flame and transfer it to another pan.
- Heat some water in a pan and add the grated jaggery. The jaggery will melt to form a brown coloured solution.
- Strain the melted jaggery for removing the impurities.
- Simmer the melted jaggery in a deep frying pan.
- Once it attains a string consistency, add the grated coconut and stir the mixture.
- Simmer it for 5-6 minutes as the moisture in the grated coconut will be absorbed.
- Add the roasted aval to this and mix the contents well.
- Add the coconut oil or ghee and cardamom, mix them well.
- It’s optional to add the cumin seeds, sesame seeds, cashew nuts and dry ginger powder.
- Once it is ready, take out from the flame and keep aside for cooling.
- Serve it with ripe bananas and store the rest in an airtight container for further use.