Thin and delicate Neer Dosa
Neer dosa is a breakfast recipe made of raw rice and water. It goes very well with chicken recipes, egg recipes and any other side dishes. This recipe is unique to the region of Dakshin Kannada and Udupi district. The word ‘neer’ means water. Neer Dosa is thin, delicate and needs just three ingredients – rice flour, coconut and a little bit of salt. The dish is named so as the batter is watery. And this is so soft, super thin and melt in your mouth. The key to get that right is making the batter super thin. This can also be served with chutney or sambar.
Ingredients used for making Neer dosa
- 2 cups of raw rice
- 3/4 cup of fresh grated coconut
- Water as per the requirement
- 2-3 teaspoons of oil
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Neer dosa
- Wash the rice in clean water and soak the rice for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind it with grated coconut and salt to form a fine batter.
- In between, add the water and make the batter to a flowing consistency.
- Transfer it to a bowl and add the salt for the taste. Mix it well with a spoon.
- The batter should not form a coating on the back of the spoon.
- Heat an iron tava (or a non-stick pan) and grease it with a thin layer of oil.
- Reduce the heat and pour a ladle full of batter on to the pan to form a circular shaped dosa. Fill the center and holes if any with more batter.
- Close the lid and cook on a medium flame for few minutes.
- At this point slowly lift the sides with a spatula, fold in half and again fold it in half to form a triangle.
- Take it out from the pan and keep it on a serving plate.
- Serve it with chutney of your choice, sambar, egg curry or chicken curry.