Vettu Cake Recipe or Deep Fried Sweet Cake
Vettu Cake Recipe or Deep Fried Sweet Cake is a unique teatime snack recipe.
Deep fried dumplings or sweet cakes are one a famous teatime snack recipe of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. All purpose flour, sugar and egg are the essential ingredients used for making this recipe. Coconut oil or any other cooking oil can be used for frying. A pinch of crushed cardamom seeds are used for a natural flavour. The Softness of the cake depends on the dough used. Always use a low- medium heat for frying. Also, do not over fry the cake as it would reduce its softness and taste. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of this sweet cake recipe.
Ingredients used for making Vettu Cake Recipe or Deep Fried Sweet Cake
- 1 cup of All purpose flour/ Maida
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 medium sized egg
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed cardamom
- Oil for deep frying
Method of preparation of Vettu Cake Recipe or Deep Fried Sweet Cake
- Take out a large mixing bowl and add the all-purpose flour/ Maida.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix it thoroughly.
- Add the all purpose flour, crushed cardamom and baking soda.
- Mix it really well and knead it to form a smooth dough. If the dough has any stickiness, add some all purpose flour and mix it once again.
- Keep it aside for 10 minutes
- Shape the dough into a lengthy rectangular shape and divide it into two equal halves.
- Using a sharp knife, slice each rectangular piece to get small sized dough pieces.
- Make a deep cut on each side of these small slices and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and set the flame to a low-medium level.
- Add the dough pieces and fry it to a golden brown colour.
- Once it is ready, take out from the oil and place it on a kitchen tissue.
- Serve it with a cup of tea. Store the remaining ones in an airtight container for further use.