Avarakkai kootu or Bread beans recipe, Bread Beans and Dal recipe
Avarakkai kootu or Bread beans recipe
Avarakkai kootu or Bread beans recipe is one of a common dish popular among the people from South India as well as the North Indian states. ‘Avarakkai’ is the name of for brad beans in Tamil language and is called by the name ‘Semi’ in Hindi. Avarakkai or bread beans and dal are the important ingredients in this recipe. Dried red chillies and pepper are used for a spicy flavour. Have a look at the list of ingredients and the preparation of Avarakkai kootu.
- 1 cup of chopped Broad Beans
- 1/3 cup of Yellow Moong Dal
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- Salt for the taste
- 2 teaspoon of Coconut oil / Sunflower oil
- ¼ teaspoon of Mustard seeds
Ingredients to be grounded to paste
- 1 tablespoon of Urad dal
- 2 dried Red chillies
- 6-7 Peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoon of shredded Coconut
Buy top quality dried red chillies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric powder etc on Natureloc.com
Method of preparation
- Roast the Urad dal, red chilli, cumin seeds, pepper and the shredded coconut pieces in some oil.
- When it cools, use some water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Wash the broad beans or avarakkai and the moong dal. Pressure cook the beans and dal with ¾ cup of water, salt and a pinch of turmeric powder for 3 whistles.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, wait for it splutter and add a pinch of asafoetida.
- Transfer this into the cooked dal along with the grounded paste and heat it to a boil. Continue boiling for 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish the recipe with curry leaves