Beetroot Pachadi Recipe
Beetroot Pachadi is a traditional South Indian recipe which is served as a side dish for rice.
Pachadi recipes can be prepared using many types of vegetables and it is one of an important side dish for ‘Onam Sadya’. Beetroot, mango, banana, pumpkin or pineapple are the popular vegetables used in pachadi recipes. It is a side dish similar to a North Indian recipe called Raita. Beetroot Pachadi contains finely grated beetroot, grated coconut and curd as the essential ingredients. Sliced green chillies are used for a spicy flavour. The use of thick curd adds up the consistency and provides a unique flavour. Chopped ginger pieces, cumin seeds, shallots and curry leaves are used for an increased flavour and aroma. Have a look at the ingredients used and the preparation of beetroot pachadi recipe.
Ingredients used for making Beetroot Pachadi
- 1-2 medium sized beetroot (Grated pieces)
- 1/3 cup of grated coconut
- A small ginger piece (sliced to medium sized pieces)
- 2-3 green chillies (sliced pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds/jeera/jeerakam
- 3 dried red chillies
- A sprig of curry leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- A pinch of mustard seeds
- 4 shallots (finely sliced)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of thick curd
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1½ tablespoon of coconut oil or any other cooking oil
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Beetroot Pachadi
- Wash the beetroot in running water and peel off its dark brown coloured outer skin. Grate the beetroot into fine pieces.
- Grind the grated coconut, ginger, cumin seeds, green chillies, 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds, dried red chilly and turmeric powder to form a coarse mixture. keep it aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup of water in a pan, add the grated beetroot pieces and salt. Cook the pieces for about 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut mixture to the cooked beetroot. Reduce the flame to a low-medium range.
- Continue cooking for about 3-4 minutes or until the water gets fully evaporated.
- Take it out from the flame and keep it aside for cooling.
- After 10 minutes, add the beaten curd and mix it well.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds. Once it pops up, add 2 dried red chillies, curry leaves and finely sliced shallots.
- Saute it for few minutes and switch off the flame when the shallots attain a golden brown colour.
- Add this prepared seasoning to the beetroot and curd mixture.
- Tasty Beetroot Pachadi is ready, serve it with rice.