Chakkakuru manga curry or Jackfruit seed curry with mango
Chakkakuru manga curry or Jackfruit seed curry with mango is one of a traditional recipe from South India.
Chakkakuru manga curry or Jackfruit seed curry with mango is usually prepared during the pre-monsoon period as it is the jackfruit season in Kerala. The sour taste of raw mango combines well with the taste of jackfruit seeds. Sliced drumstick pieces can also be used in this recipe. The yellow colour of the recipe is due to the presence of turmeric powder. The presence of sliced green chillies and red coloured dried red chillies provides a spicy flavour. Also, the use of freshly grated coconut can add up the natural flavour. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of this traditional Chakkakuru manga curry or Jackfruit seed curry with mango recipe.
Ingredients used for making Chakkakuru manga curry or Jackfruit seed curry with mango
- 1 medium sized raw mango (sliced to small pieces)
- 1½ cup of cleaned and sliced jackfruit seeds or Chakka kuru (Sliced to small pieces)
- 1 medium sized drumstick (sliced to 1½ inch pieces)
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 cup of freshly grated coconut
- 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 3 medium sized green chillies (Slit to two pieces)
- 5-6 shallots (Ulli)
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Chakkakuru manga curry or Jackfruit seed curry with mango
- Take the grated coconut pieces, green chillies and 1-2 shallots in a mix and grind it to a fine paste. Keep this aside.
- Heat some water in a pan and add the jackfruit seeds, turmeric powder, salt and the curry leaves. Cook the contents in a medium flame. (Jackfruit seeds can also be cooked using a pressure cooker, that is, cook it for 1 whistle)
- Once the jackfruit seeds are done, add the drumstick pieces and the sliced mango pieces. Cook until they are soft and tender.
- Mash the jackfruit seeds and the mango slices with the back of a ladle.
- Reduce the flame and add the grounded coconut mixture. Cook until the raw smell disappears. Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add 2-3 sliced shallots, dried red chillies and the curry leaves. Saute it to a golden brown colour.
- Pour this on top of the curry and mix it well.
- Serve it hot as a side dish for rice.