Chena Mezhukkupuratti or Elephant foot yam stir fry recipe
Chena Mezhukkupuratti or the Elephant foot yam stir fry recipe is a healthy and simple side dish for rice.
Elephant foot yam or ‘Chena’ belongs to the category of nutritious vegetable root. It has a thick dark brown coloured skin with numerous thread-like root projections. Elephant foot yam is known to be a good source of omega 3 fatty acid which helps in the build-up of good cholesterol levels in the blood. You should grease your hands with cooking oil or wear gloves before touching this root vegetable, as it can sometimes cause an itching sensation. As in the case of other stir fried dishes, the presence of shallots pieces and curry leaves gives away a pleasant aroma. The use of thinly sliced coconut bits increases the taste.
Ingredients used for making Chena Mezhukkupuratti or the Elephant foot yam stir fry
- 2 cups of sliced Elephant foot yam (Chena)
- ¼ cup of finely sliced coconut pieces (Thengakothu)
- 6-7 medium sized shallots
- A sprig of curry leaf
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoon of coconut oil or any other cooking oil
- Salt for the taste
Top quality spices, dry fruits, nuts varieties, jackfruit products etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Chena Mezhukkupuratti or the Elephant foot yam stir fry
- Wash the Elephant foot yam or Chena and peel off its skin. You should grease your hands with cooking oil or wear gloves before touching this root vegetable, as it can sometimes cause an itching sensation.
- Slice the Elephant foot yam into 1 inch pieces and keep it aside.
- Also, slice the coconut and the shallots, keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or in a non-stick pan. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds splutter, add the sliced coconut bits and the shallots. Saute it till the shallots attain a light brown colour.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder and the turmeric powder and stir the mixture. Reduce the flame to a low range.
- To this mixture, add the sliced elephant foot yam pieces, curry leaves and some salt for the taste.
- Mix it well. Pour ½ cup of water and close the lid of the pan. Cook it on a low flame till the ingredients are cooked.
- Once it is cooked, open the lid of the pan and add the black pepper powder. Stir it occasionally and cook it for few minutes.
- Taste the recipe for the salt, if needed sprinkle some salt and mix it well.
- Once it is ready, switch off the flame and transfer the recipe to a serving plate.
- Serve it hot as a side dish for rice.