Diabetes – How diabetes diagnosed? How to prevent diabetes?
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is the condition in which blood sugar remains higher than normal. This is due to either lack or insufficient action of the hormone insulin
What are the types of diabetes
There are four types of diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes- This is caused by the total destruction of Beta cells of pancreas,which results in absolute deficiency of insulin. This is more commonly seen in children and young people. These patients need daily insulin injection which is essential for remaining healthy
Type 2 Diabetes – This is caused by insufficient action and relative lack of insulin in the body.Usually seen in older people but over weight children can also develop this diabetes. This diabetes can usually be controlled by diet, exercise and medications. But sometimes insulin injection may be needed for sugar control
Gestational diabetes –This is the diabetes detected for the first time during pregnancy. This usually disappears after delivery. This is treated with insulin injection
Secondary diabetes – The diabetes caused by pancreatic stones other hormonal disorders etc are called secondary diabetes
How diabetes diagnosed?
Diabetes is diagnosed by blood sugar checking. If the fasting blood sugar level is greater than 125 mg or after meal blood sugar level is >200 mg,diabetes is diagnosed
Symptoms of diabetes
Diabetes can be there for years without any symptoms. But increased thirst,increased urination and weight loss,tiredness,non- healing wounds, all could be the symptoms of diabetes
Who is at risk of developing diabetes?
Anyone can develop diabetes,but the following are at high risk:
- Those who have family history of diabetes
- Those who are obese
- Those who had gestational diabetes mellitus
Why control diabetes?
- Uncontrolled diabetes can damage all the blood vessels of the body leading to various complications like:
- Large vessel diseases eg. heart attack,stroke,foot ulcers and gangrene of foot
- Small vessel diseases eg. blindness due to retinopathy,kidney failure due to nephropathy,sexual dysfunction etc
What is the treatment of diabetes?
Treatment involves various aspects like
- Diet control
- Medications/insulin injections
- Blood pressure and cholesterol control
- Regular blood tests
How to prevent diabetes
- Discipline life
- Regular exercise
- Balanced diet
- Avoiding obesity
- Lighten mental stress with the help of meditation and yoga
Foods to prevent diabetes – Diabetes Diet Charts – Diabetes Foods