Dried gooseberries Powder/Amla Powder (unakka nellikka podi)- The divinity thing in Ayurveda
What is amla powder/dried gooseberry powder (Unakka nellikka podi)?
Dried gooseberry powder or amla powder is dried and powdered Indian gooseberry. It’s been used for thousands of years as one of the most potent and nourishing herbs in India.The amla (Emblica officinalis syn. Phyllanthus emblica) or Indian goose berry is an important minor arid zone fruit and a crop of commercial significance. There is growing evidence that the humble amla berry offers nearly legendary powers in healing and preventing atherosclerosis and related cardiovascular disease . The amla can make a landscape attractive ornamental tree, especially when he wears his pale green berries
Amla /Indian gooseberry (Nellikka /Amalaka) – A natural wonder
Amla is one of the precious gifts of nature to mankind. Fruit known in Sanskrit as- Amalaka, Hindi- Amla, Bengali- Amalaki, Nepalese- Amala,Telugu- Usirikai, Tamil- Nellikai. Amla is a rich source of vitamin C,among 1 gm of vitamin C per 100 ml fresh juice, and requisite for the synthesis of collagen, which is liable for keeping the cells of the body together. It has the same amount of vitamin C present in two oranges. It increases the red blood cell count and helps to promote good health. Numerous experimental evidences has shown that amla fruit possess antioxidant, hepatoprotective,hypocholesterolemic and anti inflammatory activities.
Amla powder (dried gooseberry powder (Unakka nellikka podi) The perfect ingredient to get rid of hair and skin problems
Consumption of green vegetable juice with 2-3 amla fruits can prevent from hair greying. It has the potent astonishing effect on hair and skin. Amla stimulates the hair follicles and improves the hair growth and gives the complete nourishes to hair roots.
Amla powder nourishes hair from root to tip and gives a natural shine
Indian gooseberry is best known for its high vitamin C levels , a rich source of essential fatty acids that serve to keep the hair follicles strong and nourish the hair from the roots. Vitamin C source is great for hair, adding luster, softness and doing away with dryness of the scalp.
Amla powder For dandruff :
- Mix a little amla powder (unakka nellikka podi) with water or you could also dry amla (grind with a little water and mix with 2 tsp of lime juice)
- Leave it on for 1/2 an hour and wash off with water
- Amla powder can also be used in the combination of tulsi leaves – Grind 10 tulsi or basil leaves with a little water and mix this pate into the amla paste and apply on the scalp . Leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes and wash with water
Nourishes hair from root to tip and reduces hair fall
- Mix a little amla powder with water and keep it overnight
- The next day, apply this paste to your hair, leave on for a few hours and wash with a mild shampoo.
- Another ways is to boil amla with a little shikakai and soapnut (reetha) in an iron vessel and keep overnight
- Next day, use the strained liquid to shampoo.
- Make your own amla oil by soaking a few dried fruits in coconut or sesame oil for a few days; then filter and use.
Prevents skin damage
Various layers present in skin may be damaged due to UV radiation from sun is known as photo-aging which is a complex biological process. Amla reduce this problem due to its free radical assuaging nature. It improves skin elasticity by taken of dried amla powder mixed with water
- Nellikka thokku, Amla thokku or Indian gooseberry chutney
- Nellikka achar, Amla pickle or Gooseberry pickle
- Instant Nellikka chammanthi or Traditional Indian Gooseberry chutney
- Karinellikka (Nellikka Karuppichathu) or Black gooseberry pickle
- Gooseberry (Amala-Nellikka) Recipes – Honey gooseberry-gooseberry pickle
- Traditional Gooseberry Wine Recipe