Ethakkapazham Puzhungiyathu or steamed ripe plantain
Ethakkapazham Puzhungiyathu or steamed ripe plantain is a simple recipe with a delicious sweet taste.
Ethakkapazham Puzhungiyathu or steamed ripe plantain is an anytime recipe which can be served as a breakfast dish or as a tea time snack. It’s an easy recipe and wouldn’t need any special skill for its preparation. Grated coconut pieces can be served along this recipe as the taste of freshly grated coconut would go well with the sweet and melting flavour of steamed ripe bananas. Steaming vessels like Appapatram or pressure cooker or an electric steamer can be used for its preparation. Ripped bananas and one or two glass of water are the only ingredients required for the preparation of Ethakkapazham Puzhungiyathu. Have a look at the method of preparation of steamed ripe plantain.
Ingredients required for Ethakkapazham Puzhungiyathu or steamed ripe plantain
- 2-3 ripe plantains/Ethakka Pazham/Vazhakka pazham
- 1-2 glass of water
Method of preparation of Ethakkapazham Puzhungiyathu or steamed ripe plantain
Traditional steamer or ‘Appa patram’
- Wash the bananas in running water and keep it aside.
- Cut the head and the tail portion of the ripped plantains. If you like small pieces cut each plantain in to 4 pieces with a length of 3 inches.
- Take some water in the steamer and heat it on a medium flame.
- Place the grid and add the sliced banana pieces.
- Close the lid of the steamer, keep the plantain pieces for steaming. Continue heating for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once it is cooked, take the banana pieces from the flame and serve it hot with freshly grated coconut.
In a pressure cooker
- If you are using a pressure cooker for cooking, pour ½ glass of water in to the cooker.
- Place the grid and keep the ripped plantain pieces on top.
- Close the lid of the cooker and place the weight on top of the lid.
- On a medium heat, cook it for 2 whistles.
- Switch off the flame and once the pressure is reduced, take off the banana pieces and serve it hot with freshly grated coconut.