How to make Badam barfi?
Badam barfi is a dense milk based confectionary with a sweet flavour made of grounded almonds or badam.
Barfi or burfi is a kind of sweet recipe popular in India. Some of the popular barfi varieties are ‘Besan barfi’ made of gram flour, Pista barfi made using pistachios or pista and Kaaju barfi made with cashew nuts. Condensed milk and sugar are the essential ingredients used for the preparation of barfi. Apart from these ingredients, Badam barfi preparation make use of good quality almonds or badam. The use of fruits, nuts and spices would enhance the taste of barfis. Barfis are typically cut in a square, diamond or round shapes. Badam burfi has a whitish-brown colour and a delicious melting flavour. Have a look at the ingredients used and the preparation of Badam barfi.
Ingredients used for the preparation of Badam barfi
- 1 cup of Almonds or Badam
- 2¼ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 piece of Cardamom or Elaichi
- Few drops of ghee for greasing
Method of preparation of Badam barfi
- Wash the Almonds or badam in clean water and soak it for 2 hours.
- Using your hand, squeeze each of these badam to remove the brown coloured outer skin.
- Take these badam in a mixer, add the milk and grind it into a fine paste. Keep this aside.
- In a deep bottom pan, add the sugar and just enough water to immerse the sugar, say a ½ cup of water. Also add the powdered Cardamom or Elaichi.
- Heat it on a medium flame and dissolve the sugar. Once it starts to boil, get it to a string consistency.
- Now, add the grounded badam paste and mix it well.
- Maintain the medium flame and keep on stirring the mixture. Use long-handled ladle for stirring, as the mixture will attain a transparent texture and will be bubbling everywhere.
- Keep on stirring and when the mixture gets thicker, transfer it to a greased plate.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the barfi into your desired shapes like diamond, square or in round shape.