How to make jackfruit payasam or Chakka payasam?
Chakka payasam or jackfruit payasam is one of a traditional dessert recipe that is popular among the people of Kerala.
Unlike many other payasam recipes, jackfruit payasam or Chakka payasam has a unique flavour and a delicious sweet taste. The use of jaggery imparts a sweet taste and light brown colour. The flour used for making Chakka payasam is white rice flour. Adding roasted dry grapes, coconut bits and cashew nuts improves the taste. As in the case of many other payasam recipes, Chakka payasam also makes use of grated coconut for making coconut milk. Good quality ghee is used for roasting dried grapes or raisins, coconut bits and cashew nuts. A pinch of Cardamom is also used in this recipe. Have a look at the detailed description regarding the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Chakka payasam or jackfruit payasam.
Ingredients used for making Chakka payasam or Jackfruit payasam
- 30gm of ripe jackfruit (fresh or dehydrated)
- 10gm of high-quality white rice flour (Pachari podi)
- 100gm of freshly grated coconut
- 250ml of melted jaggery solution
- A pinch of cardamom
- 5gm of dry grapes
- 5gm of cashew nuts
- 50ml of ghee
- 10gm of coconut bits (finely sliced coconut pieces)
Top quality jackfruit products, spices, dry fruits, nuts varieties etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Chakka payasam or Jackfruit payasam
- Heat some grated jaggery in a pan along with little water to form a dark brown coloured jaggery solution. Keep it aside.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan and add the coconut bits. Once it is roasted, take it away and keep it aside. Also fry the raisins and cashew nuts and keep it for later use.
- If you are using dehydrated ripe jackfruits, rehydrate the jackfruit pieces by keeping it in 120ml of water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain off the water. In a mixer, grind the rehydrated ripe jackfruit or the natural ripe jackfruits to form a blended mixture.
- Grind the grated coconut in a mixer and keep the first, second and third coconut milk in separate cups.
- Heat a pan and cook the jackfruit paste with the third set of coconut milk.
- Once it is heated to a medium consistency add the second set of coconut milk, jaggery solution and the white rice flour.
- When it attains the final consistency as that of a payasam, add the first coconut milk and cardamom powder.
- Switch off the flame and garnish it with the fried coconut bits, raisins and cashew nuts.
- Delicious Chakka payasam or Jackfruit payasam is ready, serve it hot.