How to make soft Idiyappam or Noolappam?
Idiyappam or Noolappam is a famous breakfast recipe in Kerala which can be served with vegetable curries, egg curry or chicken curry.
Idiyappam or Noolappam is prepared through steaming. Rice flour and grated coconut are the essential ingredients used in idiyappam preparation. Idiyappam maker is used to squeeze out the dough into a thread like shape. The presence of grated coconut in this recipe gives a unique taste. The softness of the recipe depends on the quantity of water mixed with the rice flour. Idiyappam can also be made as a sweet recipe with the addition of sugar along with grated coconut. Children love’s this recipe for their sweet and yummy taste. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of idiyappam.
Ingredients required for making idiyappam
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1¼ cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt or as per the taste.
- 1/4 cup of grated coconut.
- Cooking oil as per the requirement
- (If you are going to make sweet idiyappam, add the sugar as per the taste.)
Good quality natural spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of idiyappam
- Heat the water in a vessel, add the salt and oil. Take out the rice flour in a wide bowl.
- When the water becomes warm, switch off the flame. Slowly pour this water to the rice flour.
- Mix it with a spoon to form a moist dough. You can add more rice flour if the dough is too watery and add more water if the dough is too dry.
- The dough should be moist enough to form small balls without sticking to your fingers.
- Take out some portion of the dough in your hand and press it to form a log shape.
- Fill these log shaped dough into an idiyappam maker greased with oil.
- Grease the plate that you use for steaming the idiyappam. Sprinkle some grated coconut over the plate.
- Squeezing the dough to the plate to form a medium thick mound of idiyappam. Appam shouldn’t be too thick.
- Keep the plate inside the steamer and steam it for 10 minutes.
- Once the idiyappam is ready, transfer it to a bowl and serve it with Vegetable stew, Kadala curry, Egg curry,
- Chicken curry, Beef curry etc