How to make tasty lemon rice?
Lemon rice is one of the popular rice recipe often prepared in South India.
The addition of lemon juice imparts the tanginess and the delicate aroma and the tempering is responsible for the delicious taste. Papad and chutney are the normally used side dish for lemon rice. Lemon rice is also a frequently prepared lunch box recipe for the kids. A pinch of turmeric powder is used to give a light yellow colour. The presence of peanuts and dal would give a crunchy experience. Sliced green chillies impart a spicy flavour. The sourness of lemon juice and the spicy flavour from the chillies helps with the unique taste of lemon rice. Let’s look at the ingredients required for making this recipe.
Ingredients required for making lemon rice
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2-3 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- 3/4 tablespoon of Split Bengal Gram or Chana dal
- 2 tablespoon of peanuts
- 1/2 tablespoon of Urad dal or Split black lentils
- 2-3 green chillies (sliced lengthwise to two pieces)
- 1 small piece of ginger (Finely chopped)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon of cooking oil
- Salt, as per the taste
High-quality natural spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of lemon rice
- Wash the rice thoroughly and cook it with sufficient water.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain the excess water and keep it aside. The rice shouldn’t be mushy for a delicious lemon rice.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and dried red chillies. Reduce the flame to a low-medium level.
- Once the mustards seeds splutter, add the peanuts and split bengal gram. After 1 minute add the split black lentils. Stir it for some time.
- Add the curry leaves, ginger and green chillies. Saute it for 2 minutes.
- Now add a pinch of asafoetida powder and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, stir it well.
- Add the cooked rice, lemon juice and salt. Mix it well and taste it for salt. Add the salt as per the taste and mix it well.
- Take the rice from the flame and serve it with papad and chutney.