Instant Nellikka chammanthi or Traditional Indian Gooseberry chutney
How to make instant Nellikka chammanthi or Traditional Indian Gooseberry chutney?
Every one of us has heard about the nutritional health benefits of Indian gooseberries / Nellikka / Amla. Nellikka chammanthi or Indian gooseberry/Amla chutney is a spicy recipe served as a side dish for rice and rice porridge. It is mostly popular among the people from South India. Indian gooseberries/ Amla, grated coconut, bird’s eye chilies are the essential ingredients used in this recipe. The use of freshly grated coconut gives a whitish texture and the presence of bird’s eye chili/ Kanthari mulaku imparts a spicy, hot flavour. Fresh ginger pieces and shallots would combine well with the chutney and provides a unique taste. This recipe goes well with curd and pickle. Have a look at the ingredients used and the preparation of Nellikka chammanthi or Indian Gooseberry chutney.
Ingredients used for making Nellikka chammanthi or Indian Gooseberry chutney
- 2 medium sized Indian gooseberry / Nellikka / Amla
- 1 cup of freshly grated coconut
- 5-6 bird’s eye chilies
- 4-5 medium sized shallots
- Few curry leaves
- A small piece of fresh ginger
- Salt for the taste.
Good quality dried bird’s eye chili, dried ginger and other spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Preparation of Nellikka chammanthi or Indian Gooseberry chutney
- Wash the gooseberries, remove its seed and slice it to medium sized pieces.
- Also, slice the ginger into medium sized pieces.
- Grind together all the ingredients except curry leaves to form a coarse mixture.
- Do not add the water, as there is enough water in the ingredients.
- Add curry leaves and pulse for few seconds till all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Transfer the chutney on to a serving bowl and serve it with rice or rice porridge.