Moru Kachiyatu / Moru curry / Pulissery or Seasoned buttermilk
Moru Kachiyatu or Seasoned buttermilk is one of the easiest and most popular curd or yogurt based recipe in Kerala.
Moru Kachiyatu is also known by different names like Moru curry, Kachiya Moru etc. Simple Pulissery recipe is also called as ‘Moru curry’ or ‘Moru Kachiyathu’. The yellow colour of this delicious recipe is due to the presence of turmeric powder. It is usually served with boiled rice. Once prepared, this recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days and thus it is mostly popular among the working women. Since we are using buttermilk for making this recipe, we should be careful as it will curdle if you leave it unattended or if you haven’t used the right amount of heat. The use of green and red chillies will impart a spicy flavour. The presence of sliced ginger, garlic and fenugreek seeds would increase the taste. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of delicious Moru Kachiyatu.
- 1/2-litre thick curd or yogurt
- 3-4 shallots (sliced)
- 1/4 inch of ginger (Chopped to small pieces)
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2-3 sliced green chillies
- 2 whole red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt as per the taste
- 1 cup of water (if the curd is thick)
Method of preparation
- Take the curd in a vessel and whisk it nicely. Keep it aside.
- Heat some oil in a clay pan (manchatti) and add the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the red chillies, sliced green chillies, shallots, ginger and curry leaves.
- Saute the contents for few minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder and reduce the flame to a low-medium range.
- Pour in the nicely whisked curd.
- Adding the water is a personal choice as some people like thin pulissery and some like thick.
- Keep on stirring the curd, otherwise it might curdle. When the curd is heated, switch off the flame and keep on stirring until the heat comes down. (While heating, the curd should not be made to boil)
- Add the salt as per the taste.
- Transfer the contents to a serving bowl and serve it with rice.